Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Not very patriotic of me

I made a post about a year ago saying that there was a direct correlation between people from different parts of the world and thier ability to play well. I got such comments back as "why dont you keep track of something useful?". I believe that is useful I have correlated the percentage of peoples ability to read English with thier poker playing abilities and found a very tight correlation. I suspect the reason for this is because most of the best poker books and educational materials are written in English. Over the 4th of July weekend I tested this theory by playing 25 hours on sites with no American players. This is normally impossible buy most Americans took the long weekend of from playing. The games where fantastic with and average of 60% of the players seeing the flop for texas holdem at the 15:30 leval. I had the most profitable 25 hour session ever which my statitical process control charts indicated where caused "by a special cause". I am therefor staying with my origional statement that the ability to read English does matter.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Not very patriotic of me

As a foreign player I agree with that.

You have almost no chance, if you cant read english.

(Unless translated editions are available, but certainly not in a small language like danish.)

I also remarked the softness of the games this weekend, but I thought it was because all the silly americans had to much time on their hands.

Kim
Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Over the 4th of July weekend I tested this theory by playing 25 hours on sites with no American players. This is normally impossible but most Americans took the long weekend of from playing....I had the most profitable 25 hour session ever which my statistical process control charts indicated where caused "by a special cause".

Is this a joke?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:35 AM

No joke, but heres a good one....

A mailman is ready to retire so he goes on his regular route for the last day. He gets a few gifts a pencil set here a a card with $5 it there. He comes to the last house on his route and a beautiful woman invites him in for lunch. They have a great meal with great conversation and when they are done she says lets go upstairs and have sex! He says you have got to be kidding this is great. So they go upstairs and have sex. On the way out the door she says opps I almost forgot and hands him a dollar. He says I dont get it You made me a great lunch and the sex was fantastik but whats with the dollar? She said "I told my husband this was your last day and asked him what we should get you? He said screw him, give him a dollar, the lunch was my idea."
Old 07-08-2004, 11:34 AM

Does the ability to speak English properly matter? Because by that standard I know a lot of European players who would smoke you.

Maybe all the Americans were just drunk. I know I was.

NT
Old 07-08-2004, 02:12 PM

Even better
Old 07-08-2004, 04:03 PM

My personal experience is that the lower limits at Paradise are much tougher during times when North American participation is low and Europeans are a major portion of the players.

There also is no shortage of silly players North of the Border in my experience. I think the U.S. and Canada are in this one together.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:44 PM

Warren Whitmore, you're the man. Is that British sense of humour you have there? You always give me a good chuckle.

The joke, I've heard....but the setup: "No joke, but here's a good one" is priceless.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:45 PM

I completely agree. The Swedes must read English well though, cuz they are good.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am therefor staying with my origional statement that the ability to read English does matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the most unintentionally funny thing I've read in a long time.