Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 PM

Default So, I guess it\'s not so bad

Back in April I had a big win in Vegas. I won right around 150BB in four days, and I was playing some pretty steep limits. I continmued to win for a time after I came back to Jacksonville as well. Ereverything was going great and I was on cloud nine.

So, my spouse and I decide it's time to invest some of this money into a new home. I put some money in the bank, I buy a used car, and I continue to play poker about 4-5 times a week. I have a full time job, but this poker thing has been even more lucrative.

Then it happens, slowly at first, I start to lose. The money is going out now instead of coming in. My beautiful poker Bankroll is assaulted from all sides. I'm losing confidence, and I'm positive my play is bad. I begin to adjust my play in an attempt to win again. The slide continues, in fact it picks up steam.

What is happening?!?!?! Ok, back to basics, play tight, play agressive. Two outer hits, huge pot, I lose again. Next night it's a one outer, and a four outer on two gigantic pots, and I lose again. I'm losing my mind now, why have the gods conspired against me? What have I done? I should go to church....

So, today I begin to review all of my records. Since the big Vegas win I have lost a grand total of $170.00 playing poker. Since 6/9/04 I have lost a grand total of just over 5K, which translates into 166 BB at 15-30 limit.

This is not that rare, in fact I have most likely added to the losses by panicking a bit. I see that tight agressive is correct, and what I won with in the past will win for me again. The suckouts will turn, and the money will flow in the right direction again.

I just hope it starts soon.

-PG
Old 07-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: So, I guess it\'s not so bad

Why are you convinced that your 150+BB win in vegas wasn't due to luck/flux. Maybe your like alot of people I know, a champion in your own mind.

-Dimitri
Old 07-26-2004, 05:09 PM

how many years have you been playing poker on a regular basis ?
Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM

Because I've been a consistent winner since I started playing. The 150BB win in vegas was incredible, and I wouldn't expect to do that everytime I played. What I'm saying, by writing the post, is that although the losses I have been incurring make me feel at times that I have no clue about the game of poker, they are but a natural swing in the overall odds.

Or, I guess I could be an overal loser, but I think not since I keep meticulous records and I win. Champion, probably not, better than average, most definitely.

-PG
Old 07-27-2004, 06:09 PM

I've been playing since 1997, and regularly for about the past 5 years.

-PG
Old 07-27-2004, 07:15 PM

You have proven to play winning poker for years now, and I commend that. Use this time to reevaluate your play but most importantly, test yourself to be able to handle these bad streaks. This will undoubtedly take your play to another level.

At least this is what I tell myself. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This too shall end.