Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 01:01 AM

Default AJo--Should I worry about the straight?

No reads on the players, but the table is your typical Party microlimit table.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: AJo--Should I worry about the straight?

I think I'd be more worried about two pair than the striaght. Either way, calling down is reasonable, but popping him again may be good, too. He may think you have a flush draw and doesn't want to give you a free card when he's holding top pair with a weaker kicker. It would, however, suck to get 3bet. I'd like to have a read on what this guy bets versus check/raises, but lacking that here, I'm torn. What do others think?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 AM

being threebet would suck indeed.
but giving a cheap card might be worse.
raise
Old 07-14-2005, 06:02 AM

yes getting 3-bet would suck, but charge MP3 to draw to his flush (maybe) and you have MP1 stuck in the middle really making the pot bigger.

i'm not resigned to think we're drawing dead yet.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:04 AM

I call. I like having the other players calling for some dead money, which will likely earn us the same amount if we're still ahead, and we'll lose less when we're behind.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call. I like having the other players calling for some dead money, which will likely earn us the same amount if we're still ahead, and we'll lose less when we're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 AM

I think you may be ahead still but you have to allow that with so many in you're probably behind already. I think a call is good here, getting 3 bet on a raise would suck bad.

My guess is someone has at least 2 pair here and maybe a set, even another Ace might have you outkicked and the straight could be a made hand already. Then there's the flush draw..... I just call down here, too many ways to lose.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:07 AM

I usually just call this kind of thing down. Let him keep betting with his A9 or whatever. If you raise and he 3-bets you'll have to call since you can't put him 100% on a straight and you'll have 7 outs if he made two-pair on the turn.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Raise the turn. UTG+1 probably doesn't have a straight, as that means he'd be betting a gutshot on the flop, an unlikely scenario. If MP3 has an OESD he's going to see the river regardless, but you can protect your hand against a 5 or T by raising. You are likely to still have the best hand, and the pot is large, raise!

Though, I'd probably fold to a reraise from MP3, but not from UTG+1.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 PM

This is really tough minus a read. Would he bet into the pfr with a draw, mid. pair?

I think this is a tough decision btw a raise and a call.

A call seems ok, as you have some dead money in the pot, a call may also keep mp3 in the hand.

A raise may let us know a little more about where utg1 stands, and it may knock out the draws that have decent odds thanks to the str8 card on the turn.

I don't think it is a clear cut answer.
I'll wait for more responses.