Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 05:30 AM

Default Worth a bet?

Short handed 30-60 game. I open raise from the button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB 3-bets and we are headsup after BB folds and I call.

Flop-K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn-K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks and calls my bet.

River-K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks and folds to my bet.

What do you think of my river bet? I made it because A)I thought a hand like 99 would call me figuring he has a chance I'm playing the board too, and B)I figured he would have simply bet into me had he held an Ace. So what ya think?

Pipedream
Old 02-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Worth a bet?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of my river bet? I made it because A)I thought a hand like 99 would call me figuring he has a chance I'm playing the board too

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a hand like 99 have called a turn bet on that board against a PR raiser?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:26 PM

IMO, considering SB's 3-bet BTF could have been AA, KK, AK, AQ is a bit risky. This is one situation where you'll be called (or checkraised) only if you are beat.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:54 PM

If he held a heart he would.

Pipedream
Old 02-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Odd hand. I think if he had a king, he might have tried to shake and wiggle a little bit at some point, and would probably call the river. Your position indicates that you could be weak and stealing, so I would be suprized if he held something like 77-99 and did not three-bet pre-flop. The same goes for most legit combinations of high cards (particularly ace and king high).

The way he played it, it looks something like 9T,8T 9J, etc. with a heart.

So I put him on trash on the river. The question is whether or not he will call with trash, thinking you also have trash and will split the pot with him. You really are only afraid of a couple hands (KQ or an ace) and as stated before, he'd probably three-bet with a fair number of them.

So, ya, bet. He probably will fold most of the time, but he's probably going to call you with trash a few times as well. The hands that can beat you, he probably would have three-bet with pre-flop.

-Diplomat
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 PM

Hi Diplomat,

the Small blind DID 3bet him preflop. Does that change your river decision any?

-Scott
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM

I must be on crack. Who put crack in my pipe?

Yes and no. Now it looks more like he has a pocket pair with a heart than trash, and makes the chance that he holds an ace a bit more likely. But given the action though the hand, I think if he held an ace he would bet the turn or the river.

-Diplomat