Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage

The other day Paul Phillips wandered by my $2-5 game (shorthanded at the time) and dropped down what was left of his $10 chips from the $40-$80 limit game. He started firing right off the bat which didnt suprise me. In less than 30 minutes he had already burned through at least 4- $500 buy-ins. Raising to $20-$30 pre every hand, BIG dark bets when first to act, calling big bets with middle pair when checkraised big or all in, calling all in bets with draws and not nearly the odds.

To me his play looked horrible but Im wondering if he was taking all of these shots with the worst of it in order build a huge stack. Here is an example and my last hand at the table...

PP has a brand new $500 stack and raises a straddler to $50 LP comes over the top all in for $300, BB goes all in for about $400, He thinks for a second and calls w/ T7s.

It looked to me like this guy was just giving his money away but his attitude suggested that he was just gambling a bit and that all of the chips would be his soon. Do you guys think there is a method to his madness or think that he was just throwing a party for the table.

THE OUTLAW
Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Paul Phillips, $2-5 Mirage

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think there is a method to his madness or think that he was just throwing a party for the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:37 PM

I've alway wondered why good players like Paul Phillips and Dan N play in these lower limit games and gambooool it up.

Maybe he will enlighten us.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:42 PM

I sometime go crazy at 10c 25c pokerstars just for fun. I go all in with 72 off. CAll with J3. I just play around. It's fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 PM

yeah think about what a couple thousand is to a guy like Paul Phillips
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've alway wondered why good players like Paul Phillips and Dan N play in these lower limit games and gambooool it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the same reason why I burn through 5 buyins a week at the stars .01/.02 NL tables.

It's very enjoyable to play completely awful poker for meaningless stakes after hours of focusing on playing your best game.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me his play looked horrible but Im wondering if he was taking all of these shots with the worst of it in order build a huge stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This new trend toward buyin caps drives me crazy. I have to be able to cover the table to properly dominate the game.

[ QUOTE ]
PP has a brand new $500 stack and raises a straddler to $50 LP comes over the top all in for $300, BB goes all in for about $400, He thinks for a second and calls w/ T7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

That hand was the turning point (that was my 4th $500 buyin.) I left the game a $3000 winner, barely able to carry all the racks to the cage. Not too shabby for six hours of 2-5 NLH. I don't normally reveal my cash game results but in this case it goes to the heart of your question.

[ QUOTE ]
his attitude suggested that he was just gambling a bit and that all of the chips would be his soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left too early. They all came home where they belonged. I actually put on quite a clinic that night but it sounds like you left at exactly the wrong time.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 PM

one of my friends (mike j.) was playing in that game and i heard all about how well paul was playing, albeit super aggressive, and what great reads he was making...

DEFINITELY NOT THROWING A PARTY
Old 03-30-2005, 06:47 PM

On a side note, how is that game??? hard/soft?? Ill be in vegas next week and plan on spending time at the mirage.

Thanks in advance.

-Justin
Old 03-30-2005, 06:53 PM

how can you dominate a game like that? if they are bad players you just have to wait for good hands.