Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 02-01-2005, 01:46 AM

Default 50-100 Vs Solid Pro

UTG in this hand is a very solid Pro. Tight, but not ultra-tight...aggressive, but less than the average pro. Reads hands pretty well, hates paying off and not afraid to fold when he thinks he is beat.

So here is the Hand :

New to the game poster in Late position. UTG raises, folded to me in BB and I call with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. (Note the dead money...I know this is strongly up for debate and I think I fold it here a lot but called this time. Anyways it is up for debate...just try to look at postflop also.)

Flop : Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check-raise he calls, my plan at this point is to follow through the turn and check-fold most likely if I miss the river. Maybe follow through...thats what I usually do, but it didnt seem right against this guy.

Turn : K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet he calls

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, planning to put in as many raises as possible.

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: 50-100 Vs Solid Pro

preflop and river are the interesting parts of this hand, but you asked not to get into preflop so i wont.

i think the likely hands for villain to have are JJ TT AK and possibly AQ, or possibly a slowplayed set. If he has a hand like JJ or TT, he will probably check behind on the river. If he had a hand like AK would he raise the turn? would he play a hand like AQ this softly? If he has a set he will raise the river and you will get more bets out of him most likely. Therefore, I think leading is the best play.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:11 AM

I didnt ask not to get into pre-flop, I just asked not to ignore post flop. I think pre-flop is kinda interesting, though I assume most wont like it and I am not sure if I do. I really dont think he has a set when he calls the turn. seems he would raise that board and expect me to call.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check, planning to put in as many raises as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a good chance of that being zero. Bet the river and hope that you get raised.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 AM

Isnt a very good player value betting almost all hands he will call with on the river?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 AM

The river CR is great.
-James
Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isnt a very good player value betting almost all hands he will call with on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. And at that point you've played so strangely he almost has to pay off.
-james
Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't know; you checkraise the flop, bet the turn and then check a total blank on the river! That looks really bizarre.

I don't like the check at all. If I were the villan it would seem as if you gave up on your bluff or decided to get fancy on the river.

So if villan had any kind of mediocre hand, which seems likely as you only got called on the turn, if I were him, I would take the free showdown and either beat your busted draw or avoid a checkraise.

If he was slowplaying somthing like a set, by betting out you can get in 3 bets on the river. I think that you wind up either missing a single bet or a 3 bet more than you would get in a checkraise.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:23 AM

NO
Old 02-01-2005, 02:26 AM

Barry wouldnt he put me on a Q or less and value bet AQ, AK or anything else of value? What hands is he paying off the river bet that he isnt value betting?