Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Do people take xanax daily?

People in general, people on this forum, whatever. Basically, is it safe to take xanax every day? Is it addictive? Damaging to one's health?

I figure it's probably pretty addictive and probably detrimental to one's alacrity, but I also figure there are people who take it every day. I probably would if I thought it wouldn't turn me into a lethargic mess.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Do people take xanax daily?

A good friend of mine used copious amounts of xanax for a month. He said it was a fun month but remembers very little of it. IMO, he wasn't in the best shape.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 AM

seriously addictive. and brutal to kick. all benzos are.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 AM

Plus tolerance goes up very quickly. The "buzz" doesn't last that long. I think one reason it is so addictive is that most doctors will give it to you and even if you don't have insurance, it is cheap. The generic is $20 or something like that. There is no reason to start taking it. It is really only "necessary" for acute anxiety.

craig
Old 12-20-2005, 04:40 AM

This is obviously something you should discuss with a psychiatrist and not just your regular doctor (though you should talk to her or him too.)

Benzodiazepines (including Klonopin/klonazepam, diazepam/Valium, and alprazolam/Xanax, among others) are generally not indicated for long-term daily use. You'd build up a tolerance fairly quickly and the risk of addiction (both physiological and psychological) is significant.

There is an extended-release form of Xanax (Xanax XR) that seems to have less "drug-like" effects than regular Xanax and might be better tolerated when used daily, but I doubt it's approrpriate for someone who isn't experiencing severe anxiety on an almost daily basis.

Anxiety is often linked with depression--I would suspect that if a psychiatrist thinks that medication is an appropriate treatment for you it would be an antidepressant and not a benzo, at least to start out.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 AM

I know someone with severe anxiety disorder who has to take it daily. It is extremely addictive, but it is the only thing she and her doctor have had any success with. Whatever tolerance she may have built up, it is still very effective after years.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:02 AM

How bad is the rebound effect?

craig
Old 12-20-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously addictive. and brutal to kick. all benzos are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an extended-release form of Xanax (Xanax XR) that seems to have less "drug-like" effects than regular Xanax

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, where is the fun in that.

Seriously though, what you say is true.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good friend of mine used copious amounts of xanax for a month. He said it was a fun month but remembers very little of it. IMO, he wasn't in the best shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow one of my friends got ahold of 250 bars a few years ago. For them, it was a month of "eat a bar, wash it down with 5 or 6 beers, and black out for 6 hours." They said that the blackouts were some of the scariest times because they could be completely ambulatory and sober-seeming but be blacked out. They would do all kinds of stuff and not remember it or wake up in insane places and have no idea where they were or how they got there.

So don't drink on Xanax.