Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Early warning: I\'m coming to California in December

Jetblue just had a three-day sale with very cheap flights to and from California (actually to Long Beach and from Oakland) so I went ahead and booked flights to visit Los Angeles and the Bay area for a week each.

December 6th-13th I'll be staying with a friend in Pasadena. I plan on playing a bunch and doing some sightseeing and restaurant/bar hopping. I'm renting a car for this part of the trip so getting around won't be a problem (other than traffic and getting lost.)

December 13th-20th I'll be in San Francisco staying at Casa de Scrub y Scrubette. Again, I'll be playing a bunch and doing the touristy stuff.

Any recommendations on places to hit up or things to do would be appreciated. If anyone wants to make plans to meet up let me know.

If anyone wants to comment on where I should play, I'll be playing limit, probably $20-40 through $40-80.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Early warning: I\'m coming to California in December

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 AM

come down to san diego at the end of your first week and down to san jose at the beginning of your second week
Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM

So I'll be in LA tomorrow--I'll probably be playing 20/40 at Commerce late tomorrow night.

I'll have my laptop with me for this trip and will be in touch. If anyone wants to try to make plans to meet up at a cardroom or whatever, let me know.

-Brad
Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 PM

you or scrub should let me know when you guys are gonna be in the bay area...are you gonna go to LC or Bay101?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:24 AM

I'll be in LA this Thursday, might play some at Commerce, let me know if you will be around.

Of course, I'll coming back to the bay right around the same time you do, so if you guys play at Bay 101, let me know.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 AM

OK didn't make it to Commerce tonight (Tuesday.) Plan for tomorrow (Wednesday) is to go to the Getty museum during the morning and spend a few hours there and then head over to Commerce mid-afternoon and play 20/40 until I get bored.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:28 PM

I can't believe you dissed Explosions in the Sky to play poker in california.

P.S. I am planning a trip like this in the spring.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 AM

Spent all day today at the Getty--wow is that place phenomenal. Definitely one of the best museum experiences I've ever had.

After I left the Getty I headed over to Commerce. Man did traffic suck. It took me like an hour twenty to get there.

I had been prepared to be overwhlemed by the sheer size and number of tables at Commerce, but I was definintely taken aback. A bad omen came when I went to an ATM (I didn't bring any cash with me) and saw a sign that said "Maximum transaction $500." D'oh. Anyway, I figured no biggie as I can use my NETeller debit card as many times as it takes to get cash for $20/40.

No dice! For some reason my NETeller debit card didn't work at the ATMs in Commerce. So I got in my car and drove around until I found a Bank of America and took money out, then headed back and sat down in the must-move $20/40 table. I thought there was the must move game and one main game, but there were 5 (!) 20/40s going. Man, you West Coast poker players have it good.

Moved to a different 20/40, I was surrounded by Lebanese dudes. I felt like Israel in '67! It took them about two minutes to ask me if I was Jewish and then start calling me cheap. PrivateJoker called and said he'd be on his way. When he showed up I asked him what (free!) food I should get with the caveat that I wanted something kind of light. He suggested the buffalo wings, and I reiterated that I wanted something "light," ie not buffalo wings. He then suggested the Asian chicken salad, which I assume at Commerce is just called the "chicken salad." It was pretty good.

I only got to see one patented West Coast player confrontation, which took place between some Asian dude and one of the drunk Lebanese guys. Sadly no fisticuffs were exchanged or even threatened.

PrivateJoker and I only played one hand together and I'm proud to say I'm undefeated against him. I met BoxTree briefly but didn't get to play with him.

Anyway, I'm planning on going to Santa Monica tomorrow and just kind of wandering around and then heading back to Commerce late afternoon/early evening. Suggestions for lunch places in Santa Monica would be appreciated.

-Brad
Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 AM

You really can't miss on the promenade. Mike l. and I will be up on Friday probably not to Commerce though. PM me your phone # if you want and I'll let you know where (we never know in advance).

-DeathDonkey