Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-23-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Matisyahu Concert Trip Report

Yesterday, my brother (Mighty Mouse/MM), our friend (Bobbofitos/BF) and I took a 3.5 hour drive to see a Matisyahu concert because he's pretty much the best current artist (and it's not even close).

MM and BF showed up at my cross-country meet at about 3 (my race began at 3:30). The race was boring so I'll skip it, but afterwards I had two brownies, two M&M cookies, and two chewy bars (PB). Then we went and I showered and they got mad at me because I told them I was going to quickly run into the gym to grab some stuff but I ended up just going back to my dorm to shower (it took less time but because they are about 1/10 as intelligent as I am they didn't understand TE {time expectation}).

We leave at about 4:30. We actually head to the gas station first, and BF complains that the place is trying to charge him a dollar for air so he goes to another gas station. I sit in the back while he and MM fill up the gas and the air and I hear them talking about cars taking different types of gas. We finally leave.

Amazingly, we don't get lost on our way to the Higher Ground, in South Burlington, Vermont. Even more amazing, due to BF's prior experiences driving, we didn't get into a car accident. We listen to a lot of Coldplay on the way up, a little bit of Counting Crows, and some Matisyahu as well.

We can't find the street we're supposed to pull into so we go into a gas station. Inside there's this guy asking for directions to the same place so MM says "are you going to the Matisyahu show?" and he says "no" so we get directions and leave.

Just as we're pulling up at 8:15 (show starts at 9), MM says "I hope it's not 18+" but we decide that's a silly notion. We get inside and it says "please have your ID ready" gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood peter.

We go to Quizno's (first time for me) and me and MM split a large tuna. I get banana peppers on my side and it makes for a great dinner. During the meal MM takes out the tickets and it says "all ages" so that's good.

Tons of random people ask us if we have extra tickets but we make it through and get inside and present our tickets. I figure out why they need to have the IDs because if you're <21 they mark an x on each hand so that you cna't buy alcohol.

We enter the main room at about 8:45 and get about four rows of people (it's all standing) from the stage. At 9 this DJ guy (Balkan something) comes out and plays for the next 1.5 hours. That was boring because everyone just wanted Matisyahu to come out. There are four girls right in front of us, mostly 2's, but then one disgustingly fat girl comes and starts dancing like fat girls do so I feel sick. BF tries talking to this one girl and this is basically what happened (from what I saw [couldn't hear much] and what BF later told me):

BF: So, do you go to UVM?
Girl: No, I'm actually in high school
Girl moves away (BF says that he just cut things off since she could've been illegal but I disagree)

Finally he gets out at 10:30 and the place goes nuts. It was a small venue with a bar on the main floor where tons of people were standing and then another elevated level in the back with another bar. Pretty nice imo. Smelled like marijuana at points, but that cleared up my sinuses I think.

First song is "Sea to Shining Sea" which is really good. He plays various songs from "Live at Stubb's" and his new CD which they said they finished this summer so maybe he has something new coming out. During "King W/o a Crown" I called up our other friend "Gary Stevenson" and he got to listen to that because he's so f'ing lucky. Matisyahu comes into the crown during the "last song" and MM gets to touch him because he's so f'ing lucky. BF is also f'ing lucky, but not for anything that happened that night.

At about 11:45 Matisyahu and band leave the stage and so BF, MM, and I leave the concert, since we're concert n00bs. The guys outside tell us he's going to do more, so we go back in but are in the way back so it's not worth it and leave. Head over to Dunkin' Donuts and I have a wheat bagel w/ butter and a green tea drink. Solid choice by me. We leave DD's by 12:15ish.

We get on the road and I'm asleep by 12:30. At 1:30 I wake up and notice we're not moving. I don't get up from my fetal position in the back seat until they say "it's snowing." It really was. Like really hard, visibility is limited. We decide to go to a hotel.

We finally find one at about 2 called the "Three Stallion Inn." It's not a major place like Holiday Inn so I figure there won't be anyone to receive us. We ring the doorbell and much to my surprise, there's someone there. We ask how much and she goes "175 I mean 195" and we don't care to barter since there's nothing else around. I have to run back like 100 yards to the car like twice more which sucked since it was snowing really hard. I fall asleep immeadiately after my shower even though BF kept talking about how nasty MehnDaMassah is (he really is though, best player ever).

I wake up at 9:15 and head down to breakfast. I have a bagel, some scrambeled eggs, two bowls of special K and tons of OJ. Really good breakfast. At about 9:30 MM wanders down and he eats some stuff. Breakfast closes at 10, so BF being the luckbox he is gets there right before closing. He eats tons of bacon (which was gross) and we split two bagels. We leave soonafter.

On the way back we listen to DMB, who I really don't like, so I complain a lot and sleep some too.

TL;DR

Okay, nice nice.

ZZzzZZzzZZzz

PS: My skills as a writer aren't really growing I guess
Old 10-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Matisyahu Concert Trip Report

since you took the time to type it up, I read all of it. nice report, I was amused. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Only your 1st time at Quiznos? Man...

Lucky guy, otherwise. That dude is phenomenal.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:38 PM

decent trip report. missed out on a bunch of details though. (insert "im a nit")

if anyone cares...
1. My front tire was a little deflated, and air in mass cost me money. that is literally awful. as it's free in ct.
2. it was pouring on the way up, and we had an excursion from 91 to 89 asking for directions.

we drove about 10 mins off the highway to a gas station, and although the guy was nice TB and MM thought he was going to rape and / or kill us if we dind't buy anything, (literally) so I bought a candle. WOOOO VERMONT CANDLES, and no, I'm not gay.

3. I had the classic quizno's chicken sandwhich, which sucked. Will not have it again.

4. shockingly there were tons of hot girls. i went because Matisyahu is the man, not to look for SIIHP, but I was impressed. unfortunately, around us (we were close to the stage) was a bit of a man palace and some fat girls. Just "our" luck I suppose.

Also, TB should've mentioned some of the crowd. Very interesting mix imo. You had the poker nerds (us) although I looked sharp. You had some hasidics dressed in full attire. (interesting) some wannabe rastifarian (howveer thats spelled) and tons of high school + college kids of varying looks.

5. The highschooler was very hot, but she was a highschooler, couldn't tell cause she was almost my height (im 6ft tall). i had a nice convo, but yea, ended that when i tried finding out if she was a uvm student, and she told me she went to burlington high school. "NEXT!"

6. King without a crown was amazing. I lost my voice.

7. I wore sandals. I forgot sneakers. My feet were very cold.

8. I didn't have much bacon. I had tons of cranberry juice. Teddy never stops eating bagels w/ cream cheese.

9. DMB rules.

that is all.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 PM

overall good thoughts on the concert and trip by tbach24 and bobbofitos. a couple of things though:

1) i DID indeed touch matisyahu. hes incrdible.
2) the beatbox segment he did was unreal and MUCH better than his CD version.
3) bobbofitos made a CD with best counting crows songs on it for the ride and left off "if i could give all my love." this is unexcusable.
4) tbach's race wasn't uneventful as he ran a personal best. (Bravo!!)
5. i am SO F'ING tired now, but the weekend was very good on the whole.
6. i am declining to comment on BobboFitos and the high school girl.

onn.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:01 PM

I've heard him before and I'm not that impressed. Are you attracted to his music or his spirituality?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matisyahu concert because he's pretty much the best current artist (and it's not even close).

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard him before and I'm not that impressed. Are you attracted to his music or his spirituality?

[/ QUOTE ]

mostly his looks... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Music. Live At Stubb's is an amazing CD and he was 100x more impressive live.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:15 PM

What kind of music do they play - I never heard of them.