Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Default My new DVD player...CABLES?!?!?

So I recently bought a new dvd player, my previous one was like 5 years old, so I wanted one that would project a gangster image on my HDTV.

I found the right player and it was only like 110/120, so I was pleased, as I thought I'd be spending more. So I hook it up and realize it only has the crappy red/white/yellow analog cables.

I need the RGB component or HDMI cable. I go to BB b/c i have some of my gift card left, but the HDMI cable he shows me is some Monster cable for $150!!!!!!!!!

So my questions are these: Do I need monster cables? Is there a cheaper alternative that has practically the same quality? I have an HDTV but it's not top of the line. I will spend some money to make my DVD image look good, but i'm not an AVphile.

Do I need to go HDMI at all or will the component do the trick?

How much should I be planning on spending, what are my options here?

All input (except analog) appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: My new DVD player...CABLES?!?!?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...231&style=
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM

search teh entireweb Johnny.

Monster cables are way over priced.

Have you searched yet?

Astro's shizzzz is better.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I recently bought a new dvd player, my previous one was like 5 years old, so I wanted one that would project a gangster image on my HDTV.

I found the right player and it was only like 110/120, so I was pleased, as I thought I'd be spending more. So I hook it up and realize it only has the crappy red/white/yellow analog cables.

I need the RGB component or HDMI cable. I go to BB b/c i have some of my gift card left, but the HDMI cable he shows me is some Monster cable for $150!!!!!!!!!

So my questions are these: Do I need monster cables? Is there a cheaper alternative that has practically the same quality? I have an HDTV but it's not top of the line. I will spend some money to make my DVD image look good, but i'm not an AVphile.

Do I need to go HDMI at all or will the component do the trick?

How much should I be planning on spending, what are my options here?

All input (except analog) appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monster is overpriced. Search the internet for other brands. A while back I went with Acoustic Research or some such for S Video and digital audio cabling.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 PM

If these are the cables JBB, ignore my PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks all!

Wow astro, the 6' cable is like <$20. Was I really gona pay 150 for what 20 gives me? that's nuts.

I'm a little unclear on which specific one I should get, but I will go home and look at the connections.

Also, what are "ferrites and net jacket?" Think I should pay the small premium for them?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Seems to have some HDMI cables way cheaper than Monster and some forum chatter seems to indicate that expensive HDMI doesn't make much of a difference. According to some, you have to watch you run lengths with HDMI - over 25' and quality drops. I would go with less expensive HDMI just for the flexibility of it over component.

oops - someone posted same link as I typed this. haha
Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM

may be mistaken but unless your dvd player is a upconversion dvd player the best picture you can get is with the component cables (DVDs are at 720p -i think- and HDTV is 1080i). now if you are hooking up you HD cable box you need the hdmi or dvi cables (whichever one your box/tv supports). If you want true HD DVDs you need a specfic player that upconverts the resplution to 1080i, they have them at BB, just ask the salesperson. And on a side note, i got a 6' HDMI cable at radio shack for $50.00. maybe check there, sometimes i need instant gratification so mail order won't always work for me. later
Old 10-19-2005, 01:40 PM

I'm pretty sure mine has upconversion here's why:

There's a little thing on the front that alllows me to select 1080i. Plus when I went to BB I aske dthe guy to explain the difference between the two most expensive single disc playing players. He said the only real difference was that the LG one had some slot for uploading digital photos? But that picture quality wouldn't differ. So I went with the second most expensive.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:46 PM

makes sence... it probably wouldn't have HDMI hookups if it was able to utlize HD. Check out radio shack, they have sales on their cables pretty often