Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Confessions of a Winholdem User

I did read the post until the end. I don't know at all that Savannah is a shill. He could well be entirely legit. But it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't.

Marketing is a funny kind of thing. *Especially* when you're marketing to a group of highly intelligent poker players. This little gambit in reverse psychology - copping to a product's shortcomings in an attempt to elicit a more sympathetic response to it - is not an uncommon one. Just check out some of the self-promotional reviews that you can find on amazon.com.

The reasons that I'm suspicious are because:

1. This is the author's first post.
2. The 'testimonial' format has been attempted under other winholdembot aliases.
3. The narrative does a very detailed job of outlining the product's features.
4. Something about the narrative tone strikes me as inauthentic.

Your read may differ, but I'm seeing this one thru till showdown.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 PM

If you are going to spend the money why not get somebody to teach you?why not buy and read every poker book out there and pay somebody to go through and make sure you understand all the concepts?Why not pay somebody to give you a "playing lesson" and either let him watch you play or you watch him?I think there are better ways to spend your money than on a bot program that eventually all the poker sites will put an end to.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:16 PM

Because, he like most computer geeks, are always looking for human endeavors that can be replaced by a computer program. The finally irony of this relentless pursuit is when the computers are going to become self aware and replace the geeks in this "loop", and begin programming themselves. They will then launch a missile attack on China, thus starting WWIII and the beginning of Armegeddon.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your read may differ, but I'm seeing this one thru till showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take a piece of your action on this wager. But maybe I'm being swayed by your former successes.

/mc
Old 03-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Obscure Reference.

[ QUOTE ]
Because, he like most computer geeks, are always looking for human endeavors that can be replaced by a computer program. The finally irony of this relentless pursuit is when the computers are going to become self aware and replace the geeks in this "loop", and begin programming themselves. They will then launch a missile attack on China, thus starting WWIII and the beginning of Armegeddon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the computer geek launched the first missile at Seattle....
Old 03-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Shilling, Spamming, Deceit, Cheating, GO AWAY - NM

Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM

Default HMMMMMM Winholdem Guy is from Georgia!!!! - HAHA READ ME

Thanks to Jamescam post I plugged "Ray E. Bornert" - the owner of the winholdem website into whowhere and found out he is from Georgia....hmmm

Anywho I am not going to post it here, but you can get this guys address/phone and stuff from whowhere if you plug "Ray E. Bornert" into whowhere.com

Maybe we can all send him some SPAM since he has been kind enough to send us some.

Orange
Old 03-17-2004, 03:09 PM

I completely agree. Although he disses the program at the end, this smells fishy to me
Old 03-18-2004, 03:59 AM

So you programmed your WinHoldem bot yourself, then bought a seat at the table for $200 and after 12 hours of non-stop play using your own formulas you ended up with $234.50, so you only made $34.50 (+$2.88 per hour; +17.25%). That's less then minimum wage. That sucks!

How much did you say you made before using WinHoldem, wasn't it somewhere around -$7,000.00 not including the $500 you spent on books? How much was your hourly take (-$0.00), what was your profit percentage (-100%)?

Yeah you're right, WinHoldem really sucks!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Sigh. Now I understand how conspiracy theories get started, and how they never seem to die.

First, if I did not make it clear enough in my "Confessions," let me remove all doubt: Winholdem is a worthless POS. Here's why:
1. It does not--however much tweaking you do to its evaluation formulas--play holdem as well as even an average player. In many cases, it plays far worse.
2. The online "support" website's documentation is awful; it provides little advice on programming the evaluation formulas, and gives absolutely no explanation of the information headings. It also, as I mentioned before, does not provide a variable for position relative to the dealer, making positional evaluations impossible--a major lack.
3. The program cannot be copied to another computer. After paying $200 and installing their deluxe version on my work computer, I found that I could not copy it to my home computer. Also, their "demo" version works for only 24 hours--not nearly enough time to get it operational, given the tabula rasa state of its evaluation feature.
4. The "autoplay" feature requires a constant human monitor, because it makes horrifyingly stupid mistakes, not the least of which is failing to protect the blinds. This makes any autoplay feature a joke, since a visit to the bathroom can result in a foolish loss. It also does not appear to calculate (or it wrongly calculates) pot odds and implied odds.
5. The "team" feature--which I'll admit, I was stupid for not realizing what it was--is morally reprehensible and anyone using Winholdem for this feature deserves banning, at the very least. Even if the team feature were removed--which I highly recommend--Winholdem would still be of no value, since it consistently loses money.

I have another confession to make: I was caught on one of the poker clubs using Winholdem, and the combination of guilt and a feeling of betrayal (Winholdem asserted--wrongly, as it turned out--that changing the title bar of the Winholdem application would be enough to elude detection) was what brought me here to warn others of the uselessness of Winholdem. Having first read the other posts about the program, I realized that all the criticism came from individuals--principled to be sure--who had no experience with the program, and could not criticize it beyond simple accusation and name-calling. My "Confessions" were written to fill that informational void.

BTW, to those who are still certain this is all reverse psychology and I'm a shill for Winholdem because of the (unhappy) coincidence of my nick and the alleged home state of one of Winholdem's apparent supporters: "Savannah" is the name of one of my horses; I chose SavannahSlim as a nick here because--as a confessed user of Winholdem (or I should say, EX-user)--I feared getting blacklisted by other online holdem clubs if I used my usual playing nick. I'd hope that this would convince you that I believe that Winholdem is not only merely a POS, but really most sincerely a POS. But, as the Amazing Kreskin once said: "For the believer, no proof is necessary. For the unbeliever, no proof is possible."

---------
"We never walked on the moon,
There were two shooters on the grassy knoll,
and Elvis ain't dead"