Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 10:09 AM

Default AKs after reraise

Party 30+3. About 180 left out of 800. Background:

Villain is pretty loose and very aggressive. I have seen him fold small raises earlier when reraised and seen him reraise allin with AK. In that hand I doubled up against him with KJ vs his AK (which upset him a bit) so he may think I am playing lots of junk, but I apart from that I figure I have a fairly tight table image. About 180 left out of 810, top 90 get paid. Table has turned tight lately.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) converter

Button (t850)
SB (t8651)
BB (t3111)
Hero (t5132)
UTG+1 (t4362)
MP1 (t2305)
MP2 (t6490)
CO (t8640)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls t700.

Flop: (t2700) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 calls [t3162] , Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2700

My thinking preflop:
His smallish reraise is scary (big pair?) but due to the background above I think he may be making a move or just being LAG. Size of pot means that a small re-reraise from me would commit me anyway. I consider allin but am scared of big pair. Unless he is bluffing, he will call with a coinflip or a big pair - I don't think it's likely that he holds AQ and calls. I just did a calculation against a range of 99-AA, AK, AQs and I am a 45/55 dog - I need to add AQo to his range to be a small favorite.

Question: With blinds this high, should I ignore the risk of big pair since I hold one A and one K myself?

My plan is to call, getting 3-1 to flop TPTK (in which case I am committed to the pot) or perhaps straight/flush possibilities. I have about 2-1 odds to get a good flop, and I also think I have good implied odds because villain is so aggressive. On the other hand, being OOP against an aggressive player, I expect to give up on most flops that don't hit me.

Question: What do you think of my preflop thinking here? Any comments on my thinking would be appreciated.

On the flop:
Dry texture so a normal size bet from me (representing AA, KK or AQ) will look weird and invite a reraise (which I am not calling). I don't really see any cards he could have except AK (which I think he would have reraised allin preflop) that he is laying down to a bet from me. So easy check/fold?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: AKs after reraise

with that check after the flop comes down, many aggressive players will push anything.. but then again he did re-raise preflop so you have to give him some credit.. unless he had an elaborate plan to go with a good read on your UTG raise..
Old 08-27-2005, 10:32 AM

I push preflop and hope he doesn't have a big pair. I have seen this play by lags a lot, making a small reraise from ealry position after an UTG raise. I think some people steal pots that way.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:55 PM

He remembers you as the guy who called his allin reraise with KJ, other players may not, but this guy definitely does. It would take a lot of evidence to convince him you are “fairly tight”, so I suspect the range of hands you suggested may not be wide enough.

Along the same line of thought, his small reraise is less likely to indicate AA or KK. He’s less worried that you won’t call him so his focus shifts to getting the chips in with the best hand. I’d push preflop and take my lumps if I’m wrong.

If I got to a flop, I’d normally bet 1000 whether it hit me or not. It puts him in a tough spot and he might screw up, and I can still get away from it if I missed and he fires back. But Villain sounds too tricky here for that approach, he's too likely to fire back with any two cards, so yeah I’d say its an "easy" check/fold.

Just to mentally run through the other possible options:

Push the flop – BAD! he’s too likely to call with hands that beat you and fold hands that don’t. The KJ hand has at least increased the likelihood he calls with “any pair”.

Check/call, slightly better than pushing since you might induce a bluff with something you are ahead of. Still a bad choice since most of his holdings here are ahead of you.

Probe bet/blocking bet – could confuse him, it gives him another chance to make a mistake (by calling when he should be raising/pushing), but probably not much different from a check/fold except it costs you since he's probably coming over the top of a small bet. Not a great option here, but it could be worth a try.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is pretty loose and very aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then push!

Yes, he *might* have a big pair, but you're in okay shape against anything except AA or KK. He's a LAG-- you can't let him scare you off your legitimate hands.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:53 PM

Your check on the flop pretty much opened the door for any move of his to make your next decision a very hard one. To me, this smells an awful lot like a very well executed stop and go, but with AKs on that flop, you're still very likely behind even with his stop and go move.