Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2002, 12:28 AM

Default P(1st place), P(2nd place), etc.

Hi,

Can anyone show me how to figure the probability of finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc???

When 1) the total # of chips 2)the # of chips each player has is known.

Thankyou,

JM
Old 08-14-2002, 03:32 AM

Default Re: P(1st place), P(2nd place), etc.

There is no sure way since it can not be known exactly where the third place player's chips, when he is eliminated, will go. However, two methods are described in my book Gambling Theory and Other Topics, and in David's [iTournament Poker for Advanced Players[/i] he also addresses this subject.

Best wishes,

mason
Old 08-14-2002, 12:09 PM

I have just finished Davids' TPFAP and learned how to better make a deal at the final table. This information alone is worth the price of the book.

Jimbo

Old 08-14-2002, 11:40 PM

I also found the book a great help, but I still wonder about the equity equation. I would love to test it against some simulations. Also, it seems according to the equation that you should never make a deal if you think you are the better player....

The one thing that bothered me about the book is that it contradicted Suzuki's in some ways. Particularly early play (loosening up vs. playing your best game). It is the one part of the book where I agree with Suzuki more. Just seems like the oppurtunities are good early in a tournament to take advantage of loose players.

-J

Old 08-15-2002, 04:01 AM

Hi J:

Keep in mind that Suzuki was addressing tournaments with progressive rebuys for the same amount of money. Sklansky is not adressing this situation since none of the bigger tournaments have this type of rebuy structure. It makes things completely different.

Best wishes,

Mason