Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Building - Intel Dual Core or AMD 64

I currently have an AMD Athalon 800 system and I think it's on it's last legs. When I run PT, GT+, and 4 tables of Party with my 100k databse the mouse lag is very high and this is what is basically forcing me to break down and buy a new system before I wanted to.

So, now dual core chips are here and reviews are showing large performance gains in multi-tasking situations. To build a dual core intel system will cost me ~1250CAN vs ~950CAN for an AMD 64 system. Are the dual core multi-tasking benefits worth the incremental costs?

edit: Poker + PT + GT (or PV if I decide to switch) are pretty intensive multi-tasking operations correct? I am currently leaning towards dual core but am looking for informed opinions.

Note: I won't' be doing much, if any, gaming on this system and hence that is not something I am very concerned about. I want poker to run very smooth and other than that I encode MP3's and that's about it (hence why I can use such an old system).
Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Building - Intel Dual Core or AMD 64

"Poker + PT + GT (or PV if I decide to switch) are pretty intensive multi-tasking operations correct? I am currently leaning towards dual core but am looking for informed opinions. "

They might not be, but if you run several apps at the same time you WILL benefit from dual core anyway since the operating system will asign what program will run on what core. I'd go with the dual intel.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:24 PM

I'm also running winamp + surfing typically. I also might be encoding MP3's (dependent on performance) or downloading.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:11 PM

Then dual core is for you for sure. As far as I am conserned there is no need for a 64 bit cpu today for home usage. I'd take a dual core 32 bit instead without hesitation.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:49 PM

Well the AMD64 does outperform similar intel chips, and are cheaper, so if I was going to build a single core system it is the clear choice - the only debate is whether or not the advantages of the dual core chip are worth a 30% increase in cost.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the AMD64 does outperform similar intel chips, and are cheaper, so if I was going to build a single core system it is the clear choice - the only debate is whether or not the advantages of the dual core chip are worth a 30% increase in cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any modern computer is fast enough for most things. I would pay the extra 30%.