Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 04-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.
Default Top two pair w/ str8 and bad flush draw in a mixed game. Blinds: 5/10

I posted this in a forum that I moderate and got an interesting response. I'll leave it here until it gets a bit cold, if it does get hot.

5/10 PLO ($1k max) in a mixed game. First hand in the PLO orbit.

I'm UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet the pot for $35 and get three callers including a very strong smart player who plays his position well left of the CO and the BB as well.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet out for $100. Fold. Villian raises to $250. BB folds. There's almost $500 in the pot and it's only $150 to me, so I call.

Turn: Blank

I check and Villian bets $250 again. Hmmm.... $750 in the pot. He can't have trip Aces or Jacks because I'm thinking he pushes harder on the flop, maybe 9's, so I have 12-17 outs. 10 or 11, if he has the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and/or the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].Is my flush draw alive? I wanna think with a flush draw+OESD or even a gutshot, trip nines, or Jacks, Villian re-raises the pot on the flop.

I have $715 left to invest in this hand and he has $465.

What do I do here?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Top two pair w/ str8 and bad flush draw in a mixed game. Blinds: 5/10

I'd have reraised on the flop: A) your hand has so many different things going for it that you'd like to get the money in early, rather than hit some second nut hand and not know whether you are good. B) His small raise on the flop looks a little like he's testing to see if you have AA, or else looking for a "free" card. In other words, he's looking for an opportunity to get away cheaply from his non-nut made hand, or draw. Give him that opportunity [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

On the turn, kinda the same thing but you are much worse off if you are against a set, and your fold equity is lower. If you think there's a chance you are ahead, I think just pushing is ok, if you are behind you still have decent equity. But if you really think he must have a set, you have good odds so call and see what happens. If you hit anything, including spade, you are definitely pot committed IMHO. If another blank comes, you can fold.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Top two pair w/ str8 and bad flush draw in a mixed game. Blinds: 5/10

I probably stick the money in on the flop as well
Old 04-06-2005, 08:50 AM

move in on the flop... you are now out of position, it sucks.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 PM

I push this flop. It keeps you from playing guessing games on later strees and neutralizes his advantage of position.

Having called the flop i'd put the rest of it on the turn here. If he has aces and the nut flush draw i plan to spike a non spade King or ace on the river.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having called the flop i'd put the rest of it on the turn here. If he has aces and the nut flush draw i plan to spike a non spade King or ace on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A spade king (or eight) would be quite alright as well (gives hero a SF).

Paul
Old 04-07-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Top two pair w/ str8 and bad flush draw in a mixed game. Blinds: 5

I would've re-raised the flop, but I think check-raising all-in on the turn is a reasonable alternative.