Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Residential Rentals - Any HUD Section 8 Experience?

Does anyone here have any experience with accepting Section 8 tenants (when renting houses)? I know this is a stigma to some, however I like the idea of the regularity of payments in addition to the longer average tenancy. But I am curious what is involved in the HUD inspection process. Any ideas?

I am seeking any info regarding accepting Section 8 tenants. Anyone here experienced with this?

Any input is appreciated.

-Rob
Old 05-05-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Residential Rentals - Any HUD Section 8 Experience?

payments from the housing authority do come regularly, getting the tenant portion of the rent is sometimes difficult. Length of tenancy can be a plus if they're good tenants, a nightmare if they're bad.(it is next to impossible to evict sect 8 tenants). I've had 3 different sect 8's. One family is the best tenants I've ever had, one is the worst and thankfully gone, and the third is quiet, respectful, but feuses to pay the rent until the last week of every month. An idea for you might be to go to the local housing authority, mention you might be interested in accepting sect 8, but have heard horror stories, yada, yada. Let them sell you on the idea, although they're not supposed to, the housing authority might recommend a good family that will respect your place. Even with a housing authority rec, you still have to screen potentials, the couple hours you spend could save you lots of headaches. I've never had a problem with the inspections, they usually point out minor problems and give you a couple of months to fix them
Old 05-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Residential Rentals - Any HUD Section 8 Experience?

Just speaking from my own experience here. It was a freaking nightmare. Late payments, trashed property when the tenent moved out. I did it twice, and then switched back to "regular" tenents. No problems since.