Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Any way to avoid busting out in this situation?

Good afternoon,

Was in 12th place with 54 left in a $20 multi table tourney where the final table is paid. Had 7k chips, with an opponent at 10k and the overall leader at 15k on my table. Blinds 100/200, table play is still loose. Pick up 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG and call due to the loose table play with the intention to fold unless hitting the set. 5 players. Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, min bet of 200, fold, fold, call, I call (again, the table is so loose that I need to see if a bad card comes as they will chase!) Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and looks like a perfect card. I bet 600 into the 1600 pot, there is a fold, then the opponent with 10k chips makes it 2500. He is very loose and aggressive so I put him on a AQ, KQ, Q9, Q8, or hearts and come over the top. He calls and shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'm out in 54th place rather than winning and being in 1st place overall [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The question is not to critique how I played the hand, but rather: Is there any way to avoid busting out in this situation? I've maybe been involved when 2 players flop a set once or twice in 18 months of online play. Any input appreciated.

-Mack
Old 06-22-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Any way to avoid busting out in this situation?

The question is not to critique how I played the hand, but rather: Is there any way to avoid busting out in this situation? I've maybe been involved when 2 players flop a set once or twice in 18 months of online play.

Other than clairvoyance, no.

There are way, way too many hands a loose large stack would make this bet with. It would be -EV for you to fold here, though obviously, once in a blue moon, set over set or some similar disaster may occur.

Doug
Old 06-22-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question is not to critique how I played the hand, but rather:

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to avoid busting out in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have folded preflop, you could have folded on the flop, you could have folded on the turn, or you could have caught the case 4 on the river...other than that, you are pretty much going to go bust on this hand.

I definitely would have bet out on that flop. There are too many draws to mess around with. If they are loose, then they will come along anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
again, the table is so loose that I need to see if a bad card comes as they will chase!)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this nonsense? If you're afraid of people chasing and hitting, you won't make very much money playing poker.

good luck,

SossMan
Old 06-22-2004, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply SossMan. I do understand that I did not play the hand perfectly and yes I could have led out on the flop. Let's say I bet 800 into the 1k pot at the time. Madman over there with 10k will either call or make it big. I of course would play and when the turn comes safe I would push and the same result occurs. That is why I was not too concerned about how the hand unfolded rather than "what on earth do you do about that?" I've run into the situation so rarely that I wanted to get any input from more experienced players. Maybe the post is out of frustration more than anything [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There's probably not a darn thing that could have been done to avoid the end result rather than play super tight and fold small pairs UTG.

-Mack
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Agreed. And good point. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 PM

As I'm reading, and get to the part about just calling the flop bet, I began screaming "RAISE,RAISE,RAISE!!!" My thought was look out for the 10 J, and makethem pay for the draw. So I guess I go broke here too. I think you played it weak, but I end up on the rail with you either way.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is why I was not too concerned about how the hand unfolded rather than "what on earth do you do about that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly opposite of how your thinking should be. It should be all decisions, not results. That's why we post hands on here w/out the results.

You flop a set, you find a way to get those chips in the middle. If he flopped a bigger set, well, on to the next tourney. It happens sometimes. There's nothing you can do about it.

Let's say you have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
in the big blind, nobody raises before the flop.

The flop is:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Do you call if the SB goes all in?

Let's say you call, and he shows you Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Does this mean you should have mucked for free from the BB??

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 12:44 AM

I appreciate this advice... you are really making me think more about the play along the way rather than the unfortunate result. I had always wondered why people left the results out of their posts, now it makes perfect sense. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -Mack
Old 06-23-2004, 05:24 AM

You don't say if he raised it up preflop or not, if not he was sure lucky to get the money, by rights you should have busted him up. Yesterday I was in a SNG on the BB with 85o 3 handed blinds are 100/200 all stacks pretty equal, the other 2 limp in and I check it. Flop is 6 7 9 rainbow, SB checks and I push in, button calls, SB folds, button shows AA, and it's all over for him. Moral is people who play stupid deserve to get f^&*ed up.

You could not get away this guy was just lucky, he either loses a lot or wins nothing, 99% of the time.

Regards ML
Old 06-23-2004, 11:59 AM

I hadn't really thought of that but you are right, he was on the button with 10k in chips sitting on 99. With 2 callers and the blinds still in the hand, how could you just call the 200 here and be prepared to play against 4 others with the 99? Very weak play there. If he were quote "good" he would have pushed it up and I'd have laid down and still be playing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You are absolutely correct about slowplaying AA. Never do it before you are down to 3 or heads-up, it rarely profits you much and likely allows the blinds to catch like you did there. Thanks for the reply.

-Mack