Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 AM

Default I guess 6 max limit really does have high variance....

Been lurking around for a while. Just started playing limit 6 max. Things started out great the first 1500 hands or so, and then there was today.

I'm not going to whine or anything or complain about bad beats, cus I knew the variance was there before going into it, but I just wanted to ask about something. I have often heard it said that limit 6 max has standard downswings of about 100BB. Do you guys mean that type of downswing in one day? Cus that is what happened to me today. I didnt really tilt at all because I just kept telling myself that it is normal.

Thanks for listening. lol... now I know why they say that limit can be such a cruel game. Any feedback is appreciated.

Steve
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: I guess 6 max limit really does have high variance....

I have had couple of 100 BB downswing in one day but later when I reviewed my session I noticed that I played badly. So I guess you can have 100 downswings easily but maybe some of it is due to a bad play, not just bad luck.

I play 2/4 now. I guess the swings can be even larger in high stakes SH games where the players are more agg.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 AM

100BB downswings in one day should happen infrequently, its more likely you tilted and pissed away some chips.

Review those hands!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but was this while multi-tabling? (I don't multi-table (yet), hence the ignorance)

If not, and maybe I'm the minority here, but why would you continue to play once you dropped more than 50BB in a single session/day (assuming you derive income from other sources than poker)? I usually buy-in for 25 BB's, re-load once if necessary, and if that drops down to 12BB I call it quits for several hours or the rest of the day.

Whenever I've hit a downswing the key to bouncing back for me is to stop, step back, review, re-read, refresh, and then go again when I feel ready.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its more likely you tilted and pissed away some chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats for sure!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 AM

if you are a favorite in a game and ur down 50bb its not a big deal and you should continue playing until you belive that your not a favorite
Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are a favorite in a game and ur down 50bb its not a big deal and you should continue playing until you belive that your not a favorite

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I guess I use 50BB as a barometer for when I think I am not a favorite.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 AM

You'll drop 50BB easily playing a bunch of 80/30/3 guys.

You just got to leave when you think you're no longer playing YOUR "A Game". I.e. you're playing crap and going to lose even more due to tilt and other factors.

I pissed away 70BB, About 30BB was probably tilt and crap. Just reviewed one hand where i clearly called without odds.

Making errors puts me on tilt as opposed to taking "bad beats". I can put bad beats down to luck... Error on my part... Now that fecks me off!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you. I guess I use 50BB as a barometer for when I think I am not a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't nearly enough IMO

I sit with 50BB to start. I can't even count the number of times I have had to reload at a table where I know I'm a favorite.

It's gotta be about my 2nd reload where I'll START to consider that MAYBE I'm tilting away money and thus no longer a favorite at that point.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM

I sit with 25-50 BB at a table. I often have to rebuy when I sit with 25 however I don't often lose 50bb at a single table if I am a favourite.

I have infrequent downswings of 100BB, however a 25-50BB downswing is quite frequent.

True