Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Default my first sssh post!!!! did i get the acronym wrong?

Do you like this free showdown raise or should i bet for value?? I put him on a high pocket pair or ahand like AQ, AK so i didnt know if i was ahead with this split pair of J's. with the flush draw im like, gotta raise the turn. i can tke a free showdown and it cost the same as calling down, plus i can improve and hit him with another bet to make 3 BB's. Villain is not a tardo but certaintly not good. he is kind of aggressive

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: my first sssh post!!!! did i get the acronym wrong?

I like this river check. I think the pf action plus the turn donk/call puts a queen in his range a good portion of the time.

I probably raise this flop though. It doesn't seem like a strong enough hand to wait for the turn.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Hi slim this really isn't a free showdown raise because you can't fold to a 3-bet here with your flush draw and given the fact that he just called your turn raise i think you can value bet the river.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 PM

yeah I like it on this turn but I think it's only good on a Q/T club. you are not going to fold out a worse hand but you are usually going to get AK to fold there which isn't necessarily a good thing, but the Q/T will make him call the turn for the gutshot so there is extra value here.

no way on the river bet...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

Hi Slim-

Raise the flop. Rest of the hand will play better. By the way, I'd bet this river, except the 6s paired and that's definitely within his hand range. But otherwise, I bet bet bet.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi slim this really isn't a free showdown raise because you can't fold to a 3-bet here with your flush draw and given the fact that he just called your turn raise i think you can value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
when can you fold to a 3bet ? you are automaticaly gettign 5-1 on the turn when this happens plus the size of the pot before the turn. And if you are going to fold to a 3-bet, then why not bet the river for value if you are just called?? i dont think a free showdown raise is just when you can fold to a 3-bet.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:52 PM

happydaz -

did you miss the preflop action or are you just not buying it?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
when can you fold to a 3bet ? you are automaticaly gettign 5-1 on the turn when this happens plus the size of the pot before the turn. And if you are going to fold to a 3-bet, then why not bet the river for value if you are just called?? i dont think a free showdown raise is just when you can fold to a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
plz discuss!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 PM

A free SD raise is generally a raise in position that is intended to be the last money you put into the pot unless you improve on the river. If it is a true free showdown raise, you are folding to a three bet.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:49 PM

the point is that since you have to call a threebet, you should have just called the turn bet and folded a river donk UI, or raisde the turn and bet the river, read dependant.

As played, I don't like the turn raise, because we're not folding any queens or flush draws, and we don't want to fold out anyone else (worse pairs, worse pp, UI overs, AX, AX paired up, etc).

Again, I would have raised and capped the flop - as this makes money and forces the villain to play straightforwardly against you on the turn.