Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Watch Waxie Get Stacked

My impression of villian is that he is TAG and a thinking player. Please note my great flop check (to control pot size) and then my call of his all-in on the turn. This hand was played so badly postfloop that it makes my head hurt.

In case you can't tell, I'm talking about my play, not his.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 ($30.10)
Hero ($26.90)
MP2 ($9.15)
CO ($28.80)
Button ($15.95)
SB ($25.40)
BB ($59.95)
UTG ($9.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $3.50.

Flop: ($9.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($9.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $25.6</font>, Hero calls $16.40 (All-In).

Final Pot: $57.35
Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Watch Waxie Get Stacked

ok i dont like the flop check at all. bet this 2/3 and reevaluate line based on villain''s response.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:28 AM

Ummmm, how are you controlling pot size when you get stacked anyway?

Bet the flop to protect your hand. Even as played, fold to the turn check/raise.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:31 AM

I think that is a worthwhile line against some people, but I thought villian was cold-calling with AA in this spot. With a different flop, I think I'm making a 2/3 bet.

My read for AA was very strong, which is why I checked the flop. The plan was to bet half the pot on the turn and fold if he pushed. Of course, he pushed and I called anyway. IMO, the hand really comes apart for me on the turn. I had a plan and totally didn't follow it for some reason.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that is a worthwhile line against some people, but I thought villian was cold-calling with AA in this spot. With a different flop, I think I'm making a 2/3 bet.

My read for AA was very strong, which is why I checked the flop. The plan was to bet half the pot on the turn and fold if he pushed. Of course, he pushed and I called anyway. IMO, the hand really comes apart for me on the turn. I had a plan and totally didn't follow it for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your reasoning for putting villain on AA?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm, how are you controlling pot size when you get stacked anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]Right. I checked the flop, trying to control pot size and then called his all-in anyway. If I'm trying to control pot size, why the heck am I calling his all-in?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 AM

I had been sitting next to him for a while and had been impressed by his play. He had done some things in some tricky situations that seemed to make a lot of sense. I guess I thought his hand range was wider than AA, but not by much. From what I had seen, he didn't put money in when he was behind and got money in when he was ahead. I know I'm not being very atriculate here, but I could tell this was going to be a WA/WB situation when he called my re-raise UTG.

If you're looking for Poker Tracker stats, I don't have any.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been sitting next to him for a while and had been impressed by his play. He had done some things in some tricky situations that seemed to make a lot of sense. I guess I thought his hand range was wider than AA, but not by much. From what I had seen, he didn't put money in when he was behind and got money in when he was ahead. I know I'm not being very atriculate here, but I could tell this was going to be a WA/WB situation when he called my re-raise UTG.

If you're looking for Poker Tracker stats, I don't have any.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll see most player repop it pf with JJ-AA. i'm thinking he's holding onto a whiffed AK or pair &lt;QQ.

he saw you check the flop and probably thinks that you're just trying to steal on the turn.

i still recommend betting this flop and seeing what the guy does - if he c-r's the flop then you can probably fold knowing he's got you beat.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:50 AM

I think his play was good for someone holding AA in this situation, because I suspect he knows that my hand range is pretty narrow for a re-raise from UTG. Since he is last to act, he knows that we're going to be heads up throughout the hand. He wants my stack in the middle. His stack is too big for me to call a push from him if I have AK.

Edit: If villian did have AA, do you think he should have pushed PF?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think his play was good for someone holding AA in this situation, because I suspect he knows that my hand range is pretty narrow for a re-raise from UTG. Since he is last to act, he knows that we're going to be heads up throughout the hand. He wants my stack in the middle. His stack is too big for me to call a push from him if I have AK.

Edit: If villian did have AA, do you think he should have pushed PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

neither of you are UTG.

villain defines his hand pf if he pushes or 3bets - he's screaming that he's holding KK-AA. maybe he's going for deception by just calling, or perhaps he doesn't have a monster.