Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-14-2005, 04:25 AM

Default 3/6: A3o Blind battle

SB: 50/20/1.7 over 120

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I don't have much respect for this move from this type of player.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero's plan?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: 3/6: A3o Blind battle

given this
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call the flop and raise the turn. Good chance your hand is ahead, and you want him to fold that 6-outer on the turn. Hell, he may even fold a better hand like A9 or so.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:52 AM

I don't think players like this fold to raises. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

(in general)
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think players like this fold to raises. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

(in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

While he's not often folding a better hand, we either get an extra BB out of him or force him to fold his 6 outer if he's the type to not fire 3 barrels. I think he does though so I'd probably just call it down.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Call the flop and see what the turn brings.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given this
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call the flop and raise the turn. Good chance your hand is ahead, and you want him to fold that 6-outer on the turn. Hell, he may even fold a better hand like A9 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think a tricky player like this is going to fold ace-high. He knows that he gets weird responses because of his tricky play, and will go to showdown with weaker hands.

You are going to be 3-bet on this turn a lot. Easy fold, but you can spend the same amount of BB's and see a showdown. Our hand is weak, but it is a good hand to snap off crap with. Let him hang himself.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given this
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think a tricky player like this is going to fold ace-high. He knows that he gets weird responses because of his tricky play, and will go to showdown with weaker hands.

You are going to be 3-bet on this turn a lot. Easy fold, but you can spend the same amount of BB's and see a showdown. Our hand is weak, but it is a good hand to snap off crap with. Let him hang himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he's folding A-hi. I'm saying that he doesn't have A-hi here pretty often and thus, we have him beat.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Villains seems LAG. My default line is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible postflop. Do I need a new line?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 PM

1, I don't like the raise PF. A3o is just way too weak to make this raise with IMO. If you had a hand like A7o+ or A3s+ then make the raise. against this villian, I just call him down as long as the board stays cool
Old 12-14-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villains seems LAG. My default line is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible postflop. Do I need a new line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't think so; I think people are overestimating the value in a turn raise here. Even against a LAG's hand range we're not fantastic here, especially because we risk 2 bets to gain 1 (since we're both going to showdown anyways, and many better hands are 3-betting the turn).

In general, I try to get to showdown cheaply with my marginal hands against LAGs, and go balls to the wall with decent hands. I don't think we can consider this hand anything but marginal unless we improve.