Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Situation in SSNL

[ QUOTE ]
You should let new posters discuss this as much as they want.

While it may be possible to read old threads, a lot of learning is done by posting your own thoughts.

Folding KK pre-flop may not be a great practical thread. But, it has potential to get posters thinking about theoretical ideas that go way beyond the play of just KK pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Dynasty here. I don't see how it's possibly in 2+2's best interest to make off limits discussion of certain poker strategy. Beyond that I don't think it's good for the users. Sure it's an inconvenience having one or two repetitive topics seemingly permanently on the first page but users should feel free to discuss any strategy subject they wish.

Another example is folding aces preflop in tournaments well before the bubble. There was a recent thread with a subject like "an interesting AA preflop decision." El Diablo responded with what I and probably several other posters were thinking, something like "I didn't read the thread but I'm going to go with 'call'" It's irritating but the people that haven't seen these topics before (and there are many) learn a fair amount from this discussion, I know I did when I first encountered them.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:31 AM

As SSNL mod you probably face a lot of of newbish posts like I do in MLHE . I usually let them punch themselves. I let dumb/asked-a-million-times questions go most of the time. They usually don't survive long on the first page anyhow, there is usually a little flamage (not always a bad thing as long as it doesn't go over the top), and a newb learns a lesson. The regulars do a pretty decent job of regulating the board (but I have a pretty laizze faire modding philosophy).

I guess I lean more towards letting these threads live what is hopefully a short life on the first page. I would have links ready to refer people to, or refer them to a reference link in the sticky.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:55 AM

Well, just to bring everyone up to date. We pulled the sticky down last night and publicly retracted the "no KK PF folding threads" policy. However, we made it clear that obvious bad beat posts were going to be moved or locked.

After reading Cola's post, we agreed last night that he and the poster from SSNL were right about at the very least this: stickied threads should be held to a higher standard. Our intent behind the sticky was to reduce the number of a particular type of bad beat post that had been flaring up recently. Our post failed in that mission becasue it was a strategy-related post which could not always be correct (which we acknowledged). I agree with Dynasty that KK hands shouldn't be taboo -- that no real discussion should be taboo. The only reason we're here is to discuss hands, after all.

So, I made a mistake by putting that sticky up in the first place, but I learned from it. After it was all said and done, I for one was actually glad that the SNNL poster had complained, becasue I feel that I quickly became a better mod through the experience.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 AM

I was also considering compiling a list of links from SSNL that people may find helpful. The "retro" thread comes to mind, and when I first started contributing to SSNL I asked the forum for links. I'll find that post & pull stuff out of it.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM

No one is perfect. Sounds like you are doing a fine job.