Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: ($60) I called instantly

You're "ahead" (51/49) against AX here, aren't you?

I guess taking the coinflip is a bit worse than giving it, so I say pushing after he bets out 400 is the line I would like to take here.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:44 PM

being ahead 51/49 isn't htat wonderful.

think about this:

say you each have 5000 chips. and it's a heads up match. (yes, i realize this isn't the scenario at hand, but it is good for explanation.)

there's 800 chips in the pot preflop.

you know for a fact that your hand is 51/49 against your opponent.

if you play the hand in such a way that you are running it out with your opponent, you have an "expected" stack at the end of the hand of 5100.

if you find a way to make him fold immediately, you have an expected stack of 5400.

continuing, the more chips you can get in the pot and then still have a chance to make him fold, the better. especially because if he doesn't fold, you're still ahead! in fact part of the problem is that if he thinks he's only a small dog and plays exactly as well as you, he's of course going to get in as the 49% dog instantly if he can see your hand, as he's getting an overlay on his odds.

so while checkraise line is good, i think that it doesn't lead to as many chips in the pot in instances where we can make the guy fold, as bet 3 bet does.

something like that.

c
Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being ahead 51/49 isn't htat wonderful.

think about this:

say you each have 5000 chips. and it's a heads up match. (yes, i realize this isn't the scenario at hand, but it is good for explanation.)

there's 800 chips in the pot preflop.

you know for a fact that your hand is 51/49 against your opponent.

if you play the hand in such a way that you are running it out with your opponent, you have an "expected" stack at the end of the hand of 5100.

if you find a way to make him fold immediately, you have an expected stack of 5400.

continuing, the more chips you can get in the pot and then still have a chance to make him fold, the better. especially because if he doesn't fold, you're still ahead! in fact part of the problem is that if he thinks he's only a small dog and plays exactly as well as you, he's of course going to get in as the 49% dog instantly if he can see your hand, as he's getting an overlay on his odds.

so while checkraise line is good, i think that it doesn't lead to as many chips in the pot in instances where we can make the guy fold, as bet 3 bet does.

something like that.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.