Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Er, dumping an overpair to the board?

Reads: haven't seen UTG get too far out of line, although he's LAGgy. I've seen UTG openlimp 88 in EP during this session. Button is very LAGgy as well. Effective stacks are $120.

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table 8-handed

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG raises to $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, 3 folds, Button calls $3.50, 2 folds.

Flop: ($11.50) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (3 players)</font>
UTG bets $3, Hero raises to $12, Button calls $12, UTG calls $9.

Turn: ($46) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (3 players)</font>
UTG bets $24, Hero folds...

Weak tight? Nice laydown? Comments welcome.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Er, dumping an overpair to the board?

Kind of weak-tight but i am pretty sure you are beat. You saw him limp 88, so put his raising range on 99-AA plus AK AQ. You beat 99 but i dont think he is leading turn. He called your raise and lead turn which leads me to believe he has JJ-AA and not AK AQ and you are beat. I think getting away from it here is good b/c if u call and river blanks but he still leads the situation hasn't changed at all but you are pretty much then forced to make a call on the river.

I don't see why he makes such a small bet on the flop and then leads so large on turn. This confuses me a bit. Also, AJ could you look at the hand i just posted and give me some advice. I am lost on it.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 AM

These hands suck. Weak overpairs on all under boards. I think you played it great, nh. I cannot see a hand that you beat by the turn. Unless villan will make this move with 88,99, I like the fold.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 AM

I would would usually fold in this situation. Remember the button is still left to act after you and cold called your raise on the flop. I'd be slightly worried about him possibly holding a set as well as the villian holding a higher overpair.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 AM

I really think you were ahead here. Don't hate the laydown however. What reason does he have to lead so weak on the flop, then bet 1/2 pot on the turn when the lowest card pairs? Only thing I see playing like this is a low PP putting you on overs. Edit missed buttons overcall on the flop. Fold looks pretty standard
Old 12-07-2005, 03:08 AM

This is how i'd play the hand too.
UTG seems to have a solid overpair, and wants to see where you and button stand on the turn.
Button must have some kind of a hand to coldcall your raise with the aggressive preflop raiser still to act again. I think you may be beat by both players here (but at least by one, and that one isnt folding), run for the hills.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 AM

In addition to the turn lead I like EV's analysis here, you aren't closing the action which makes this a worse position to be in.

You don't have much invested at all in this pot, nh.

Perhaps you could discuss why a flop raise wasn't larger?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:35 AM

His hand makes zero sense, except busted overcards.

I probably call turn and evaluate river.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand makes zero sense, except busted overcards.

I probably call turn and evaluate river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who bets AK into two players on that turn? That's a pretty goofy move for a NL100 player. I think I would have been much more inclined to call if Button wasn't in the hand. I think he was the deciding factor in my giving up on the hand.

And as far as the flop raise amount Maulik, I wanted to pick a number that didn't look weak, but at the same time keep me from overinvesting at that point in a situation where I was WB. Kind of a probe raise right there.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:57 AM

I think the flop raise size is good. Its a probe bet, finding out where you stand.

Villan's play seems like a set/overpair. I sometimes pull this move with a set and stop-n-go. I don't think villan has an overpair here.