Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: KQ flops trips against laggy PF raiser

:grunch:

Either raise the flop or call the flop and raise the turn. The likely preflop raise hands you are behind are AA and AK.

But since you decided until the river to raise you might as well cap it because MP2 isn't going to put you on a K.

If possible, I would have raised the flop in hopes of using MP2's lagginess to trap the other two.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cap river. How come you only called???

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause I was beat? Why would he 3-bet if he couldn't beat a king?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he puts you on the K since you waited until the river to raise. If you had raised on the flop or turn and he still 3-bets you on the river then I might just call thinking he spiked his other card.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 PM

grunch,

Ugh! What are you doing? Preflop against this LAG, raise for christ sake! I can see maybe waiting for the turn to raise your trips, but depending on how passive the rest of the table is, I might consider raising the flop too if I thought they'd cold call 2. Definately raise the turn and keep leaning on the raise button the rest of the hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM

I am not a fan of a preflop cold call with KQo even in position. If you do want t get in this pot, Make it 3 bets and isolate this guy, and force the UTG to cold call if he wants to play.

If MP2 will bluff all the way post flop, your flop call is fine for inducing a turn bet that you can then raise.

Cap the river, if he is a lag, your hand in this situation will be better than his a fare amount of the time. Despite the time you are beat I thinking caping is a profitable play.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:38 PM

*Grunch*

-According to what I've seen, cold calling KQo is not what you want to do. I would have folded preflop.
-You should have definitely raised this flop. If you got re-raised, then I'd start thinking he'd had another king. If he just called, I'd bet the crap outta the turn and river.
- Why wait until the river to start betting? Your pot equity is HUGE after the flop! He's aggressive enough to get A LOT of bets in.

I think in general you played this hand very passively and very much missed many value bets.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*Grunch*

-According to what I've seen, cold calling KQo is not what you want to do. I would have folded preflop.
-You should have definitely raised this flop. If you got re-raised, then I'd start thinking he'd had another king. If he just called, I'd bet the crap outta the turn and river.
- Why wait until the river to start betting? Your pot equity is HUGE after the flop! He's aggressive enough to get A LOT of bets in.

I think in general you played this hand very passively and very much missed many value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does grunch mean anyway?

I guess I have to respect what everyone is saying about folding or raising pre-flop, but what am I supposed to do when it gets capped and I don't hit the flop (happens the majority of the time)? I just threw away an extra big bet and drove out the overcallers to my left. Why do I want to do this again?

As for waiting until the river to raise, he only had a measely pair of 6s. If I'd shown strength on the flop, he'd have let his hand go pretty quickly. I got more bets out of him by letting him lead each round. I don't think that point is very debatable.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does grunch mean anyway?

I guess I have to respect what everyone is saying about folding or raising pre-flop, but what am I supposed to do when it gets capped and I don't hit the flop (happens the majority of the time)? I just threw away an extra big bet and drove out the overcallers to my left. Why do I want to do this again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunch is to respond without reading other responses first.

As to the other question, you needs must play poker, dude. Yeah, 3betting here increases variance, but it is the correct play.

-Jaran
Old 12-06-2005, 05:46 PM

...grunch...

I'm not a big fan of coldcalling preflop with KQo. If he really is laggy and has been showing that he's raising with junk, I'd 3-bet to try and isolate.

Slowplaying the flop is fine, let the others peel.

I'm also not a big fan of waiting for the river to raise. If you thought there was a good chance the others might peel again then maybe, but having MP1 check the river would suck.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:46 PM

I keep trying to work out in my head why it is so important to isolate the raiser when all it does in my eyes is cut down the size of the pot and force me into a situation where I'll probably be betting or calling with a worse hand. There really aren't very many hands in his range that KQo beats, LAG or not.

To those who advocate raising pre-flop, tell me this. When the flop comes all blanks and he bets, am I supposed to fold right there after having 3bet pre-flop and appear weak-tight? Am I supposed to call down with king high? I hate both of those options. Why should I put myself in that position when I could just coldcall and see if I catch?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but what am I supposed to do when it gets capped and I don't hit the flop (happens the majority of the time)?

[/ QUOTE ]
first of all most players (even laggy ones) don't indiscriminately cap every hand they raise. second, you don't miss every time. your statement is simply untrue.