Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-19-2005, 05:55 PM

Default HU hand against Baronzeus

Baronzeus and I played this hand today during our HULA match. For those who don't know, Baron is solid and pretty aggressive. His preflop raising range is very wide, maybe top 85% of hands. I know the other hands in the match are important in determining the correct play, but I think this one is interesting in isolation.

Also, what hands should Baron be betting on the river?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks intending to call a bet.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: HU hand against Baronzeus

your line seems inconsistent to me. the reason i say this is that if you think a river call has value then its because baron called the flop with jack high or worse. if thats the case then a turn bet is manditory. i cant see it as possible that baron bluffraises the turn if you are taking Khigh and Ahigh to the showdown along with any pair over 77 which you should be and he knows this.

on the river the only hands that youre ahead of are J2-9, 85 and maybe some random hands that baron called with. there really isnt a broad range here.

i dont know what your preflop 3betting range is out of position but id imagine you are fairly conservative as that is the normal standard. ace high should be betting that turn and i think king high should be as well. its hard to imagine that you checked a pair under 6s on the turn since you have folding equity.

baron should be putting you on precisely king high at this point or maybe a hand like QJs or J9s but its hard to imagine you would check this turn with those hands.

therefore i think baron is going to be checking this river most of the times with hands that cant win. hell be value betting ace high and a pair.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Tstone said it well, he is peeling this flop with just about everything, and you done want to let him showdown k7 high so cheaply as you have done here. Against a player like barron, i would bet-3 bet the turn.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:57 PM

that 9 is about the worst possible river card for you though, because if he did call the flop on a semi draw (something like J9 or 98 or 67) then the 9 helped him if he wasn't already beating you. He could have a PP (22-44, maybe 55?) and I think he would bet those a fair amount of the time, but he probably caps a lot of them PF.

I suck HU so I don't know how much folding these kinds of rivers sets you up to get run over, but I'd feel a lot better calling a river 3 or 4 or soemthing.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tstone said it well, he is peeling this flop with just about everything, and you done want to let him showdown k7 high so cheaply as you have done here. Against a player like barron, i would bet-3 bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think im ever folding K high or A high there? i dont think i am. also, im only raising with 77+ and possibly A high.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you think im ever folding K high or A high there? i dont think i am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont. If say LMD bets turn, I think about raising his bet (w/ A/K-high). I raise his river bet with A-high and a higher-than-board pair. If u had any pair not counterfited, u are usually betting that turn, unless u were trying to induce him to bet the river with a UI six outer.

If LMD had any pair higher than the board hes betting expecting u to call with K-high or A-high at the same time hes betting K-high or A-high...so he has a weak hand he wants to showdown (unless he is 1. going for a CR, in which case the river might be a better place for that move...or, 2. Giving up). As it is, I bet at this turn with a decent amount of hands. If he calls re-evaluate on the river.

I hope this makes sense, I just woke up to brush my teeth and check my email before going back to bed.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 PM

i'd estimate that your river action should be something like {80, 17, 3}...