Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Should I go to Korea?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not that it matters for my trip but I am curious about South Korea's view of the americans.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitter Astros fan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate your avatar. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived in Suwon for a year and I loved it there. Koreans in general dont like Americans, but the younger crowd is more accepting. The worst part is the smell, every Korean smells like kimchi because they eat it 18 times a day and its everywhere. The only time you cant smell it is when you are near a rice field which they flood with [censored], which I actually prefered.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yeah, I'm sorry to say, this is a generalization which has some merit. You can't eat that crap without stinking of it. No way, no how, no matter how politically correct you are. I love it by the way. But I know I've got a solid two or three days of stink coming out in my sweat when I eat it. And one or two days of way more than usual, and nastier than usual, ass gas.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lived in Suwon for a year and I loved it there. Koreans in general dont like Americans, but the younger crowd is more accepting. The worst part is the smell, every Korean smells like kimchi because they eat it 18 times a day and its everywhere. The only time you cant smell it is when you are near a rice field which they flood with [censored], which I actually prefered.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yeah, I'm sorry to say, this is a generalization which has some merit. You can't eat that crap without stinking of it. No way, no how, no matter how politically correct you are. I love it by the way. But I know I've got a solid two or three days of stink coming out in my sweat when I eat it. And one or two days of way more than usual, and nastier than usual, ass gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you eat? I mean when I get Sushi they will serve a tiny little dish of it. Not enough to stink my breathe or anything.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Even one can stink your breath. It's pickled in garlic, after all, and is fermented cabbage.

I guess you can get some milder kinds, but the kinds I eat are stinky as heck. I always smell the garlic more when it's coming out in my sweat than when I'm eating it. There's plenty there.

Sushi is Japanese, so maybe they do a Japanese milder version. Japanese make tons of different pickled vegetables -- an oshinko plate of pickled veggies is one of my favorite Japanese dishes, and it's not stinky at all.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Default My Korea Trip Report!

My junior year of high school, my best friend was from South Korea. He went home to visit his parents during spring break, and I came along. He lived in Seoul, so everything here on out only applies to Seoul. I never really saw any other part of the country.

Seoul is not meant for American tourism. There are no white people there whatsoever, and very few people speak english, even in restaurants and stuff. The whole week I was in Korea, I only saw one white person on the street (although I saw like 5 at one hotel I ate dinner at).

Korea is different, but in a cool way. It's a tiny bit like NYC the way the city is cetup. You can walk or subway anywhere in the city, and you'll see all kinds of (Korean) people walking the streets.

I liked the food. I'm not a big fan of kim chi, but there was some rib dish that was really popular that I loved. I forget the name of it. I tried lots of different foods and liked almost all of them. There was one restaurant where you cooked your own food and that was also really good. Someone said soemthing about raw food, but I don't think I had any while in Korea except for the one sushi restaurant I went to which was sub par (Sushi is not popular in Korea). And you know those hot dog stands they have in NYC? Well they have them in Korea, except they serve squid and pig liver.

The coolest thing I did was a night club I went to. They have a big dance floor in the middle, but there were very few guys dancing. The dance floor is surrounded by a dozen rooms. Each room has a table and a Karaoke Bar. You go there and order drinks (and maybe some fruit) for the table, and the waiters constantly bring girls from the dance floor to your room. They aren't employees. They are just other young kids looking to have fun. If they don't like you, they leave, and the waiters bring around different girls. If they like you, they stay.

Unfortunately, the girls are pretty conservative in Korea. I met some Korean gril that claimed she was a model, and was dissapointed that all I got out of it was a few kisses, but my friends were really impressed because apparently it isn't common to meet a girl and kiss her in the same night. Maybe they were just being nice, I dunno.

I did some touristy stuff too. The tower of Seoul was pretty cool, and I went to this amusement park which was half-indoor and half-outdoor. That place was really awesome. The best part was this one ride that lifted you really high in the air, and then spun you around over the water that surrounded the little island the amusement park was on. It's kind of cool when you look down and see nothing but water.

If you are looking for a culturally educational experience, by all means, go to Korea. If you are looking for a major tourist center, hold out until Germany. It would take a lot to get me to go to Korea again, but I'm very happy I went the first time, and greatly enjoyed most of the trip.

Edit: The girls there are very cute too. Most of the high schools have the girls wear Catholic-Schoolish uniforms, and those are very hot. Make sure to walk outside around 3-5pm to find a few large groups of them walking about.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Koreans in general dont like Americans, but the younger crowd is more accepting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this isn't true at all. I stayed w/ my friend Sun, and his parents were so happy to have me staying with them. The way they smiled when they talked to me it was like I was royalty or something. They had so much fun trying to speak english with me. Overall, I was treated very well by the Koreans. Some of the girls really loved my American accent, and they always had fun trying to talk to me in english as well.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: My Korea Trip Report!

ZJ,

From your trip report I didnt pick up on the reasons why you wouldnt want to go back to S.Korea. Just curious. Great Report.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My junior year of high school, my best friend was from South Korea. He went home to visit his parents during spring break, and I came along. He lived in Seoul, so everything here on out only applies to Seoul. I never really saw any other part of the country.

Seoul is not meant for American tourism. There are no white people there whatsoever, and very few people speak english, even in restaurants and stuff. The whole week I was in Korea, I only saw one white person on the street (although I saw like 5 at one hotel I ate dinner at).

Korea is different, but in a cool way. It's a tiny bit like NYC the way the city is cetup. You can walk or subway anywhere in the city, and you'll see all kinds of (Korean) people walking the streets.

I liked the food. I'm not a big fan of kim chi, but there was some rib dish that was really popular that I loved. I forget the name of it. I tried lots of different foods and liked almost all of them. There was one restaurant where you cooked your own food and that was also really good. Someone said soemthing about raw food, but I don't think I had any while in Korea except for the one sushi restaurant I went to which was sub par (Sushi is not popular in Korea). And you know those hot dog stands they have in NYC? Well they have them in Korea, except they serve squid and pig liver.

The coolest thing I did was a night club I went to. They have a big dance floor in the middle, but there were very few guys dancing. The dance floor is surrounded by a dozen rooms. Each room has a table and a Karaoke Bar. You go there and order drinks (and maybe some fruit) for the table, and the waiters constantly bring girls from the dance floor to your room. They aren't employees. They are just other young kids looking to have fun. If they don't like you, they leave, and the waiters bring around different girls. If they like you, they stay.

Unfortunately, the girls are pretty conservative in Korea. I met some Korean gril that claimed she was a model, and was dissapointed that all I got out of it was a few kisses, but my friends were really impressed because apparently it isn't common to meet a girl and kiss her in the same night. Maybe they were just being nice, I dunno.

I did some touristy stuff too. The tower of Seoul was pretty cool, and I went to this amusement park which was half-indoor and half-outdoor. That place was really awesome. The best part was this one ride that lifted you really high in the air, and then spun you around over the water that surrounded the little island the amusement park was on. It's kind of cool when you look down and see nothing but water.

If you are looking for a culturally educational experience, by all means, go to Korea. If you are looking for a major tourist center, hold out until Germany. It would take a lot to get me to go to Korea again, but I'm very happy I went the first time, and greatly enjoyed most of the trip.

Edit: The girls there are very cute too. Most of the high schools have the girls wear Catholic-Schoolish uniforms, and those are very hot. Make sure to walk outside around 3-5pm to find a few large groups of them walking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Thailand all University students are forced to wear a uniform. For girls, its a tight black mini-skirt and a see-through white blouse.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ZJ,

From your trip report I didnt pick up on the reasons why you wouldnt want to go back to S.Korea. Just curious. Great Report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either. Made the place sound attractive to me. Except for the nobody to talk to in English, I guess. That could be kind of lonely if you've got a lot of time on your hands without anybody you know around.

I immediately had a fantasy conversation in my mind, with one of those cuties.

Her: How do you like my English?
Me: You're even cuter when you speak English.

Okay, it's a corny low-rent fantasy, but that's part of what makes them fantasies, yes?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:54 PM

THREAD OVER. BOOK YOUR FLIGHT.