Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: For those that get \"Paypal\" and \"Ebay\" emails

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to avoid any scam:

If you get an email claiming to be from paypal, your bank, broker, etc... Close the email. Type in www.paypal.com or whatever, and log directly into the site. If there is a legit problem requiring your action, you will be alerted when you login

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better yet, don't believe any email. If they were to do something like this, they have your phone number and would call you directly.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I get these, and I have some time to kill, I often will fill out everything with false, but close to real, information. Figure that the least I can do is make them go off on a wild goose chase with bad information. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I once went to one of these phishing web pages, saved the page to my hard drive, and modified it by putting a javascript loop in it to keep sending the data over and over. If you put a "target" attribute on the HTML form so that the data returned from the site goes into a different window the loop will keep executing--at least in the older version if IE that I was using at the time. I know a test credit card number which has a valid check digit and will pass most validation routines but isn't actually a valid number. I also set up the javascript to put 1 of n where n was the number of iterations I had set the loop for, in one of the address lines. I put obscenities, death threats, descriptions of what their cell mates would do to them in prison, etc. in other fields, but always put my correct email address in. Over the course of a weekend, I sent several hundred thousand submissions to them. Curiously enough, after doing this, the number of phishing emails I get went from 4 or 5 per week to maybe only 4 or 5 per year. This leads me to believe that it's a fairly small group of people that are doing most of these emails, and that they are sharing information.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you PM me the IPs of the phishers then I could initiate a distributed denial of service attack(DDos) against them. I could knock them offline for at least a day. Let me know what you want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it looks like these clowns were using somebody's AOL home page. Although the idea of doing a DDOS against AOL has a certain appeal, it would be likely to get you in trouble. Possibly the phishers were dumb enough to use their on AOL account, but more likely they hacked somebody else's account. One time I found a phishing web site was hosted on a machine whose web root looked to be the web site for a Chinese electronics store. I also found that the server in question had an open telnet connection, which leads me to believe that the phishers simply scanned for an open telnet connection, hacked in and put their web site there. I find that very often, by the time I see a phishing email, the site that it links to has already been taken down. I think they usually use a server that they have hacked into, rather than uaing one that they own or paying someody to host it. It's much harder to trace the responsible parties that way.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 AM

Now that one is a neat one. If you look at the address bar you will see that it places a hidden window over the URL so that it looks like Ebay.

Now if they just changed the title of the URL to look like PayPal too... see below:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Then they might stand a better chance. Anyways I emailed Comcast and hopefully they will take this mofo down.

Rom
Old 09-15-2005, 08:33 AM

I find the most alarming thing about these scam e-mails is that I didn't start getting them regularly until after I was a member of the services.

Within days of joining paypal and ebay I began receiving scam spam.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM

I get them every other day. I buy and sell so much on ebay it seems like when I buy something the hackers know it. Then I get a scam email the next day. Disturbs me too.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been posted several times here but I am going to post on the subject again:

I got an email from "Paypal" saying that my account has been compromised and that I need to log in. Well we all know that it is "phishing" so they can get your account and password. I clicked on the link to see the address and it was "http://hometown.aol.de/elisabeth2211/". So it is a complete fake and worse the hacker is lazy. Can't even at least try to make the address look like paypal. These guys are scum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misleading the public, my friend. These emails from ebay and paypal are always legitimate, and should always be responded to.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was listening to a radio news article the other day, and it said that within hours of hurricane Katrina hitting, fake websites started to appear taking donations. Thats pretty sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the unpleasant face of capitalism, anything for a $.

Mack
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM

I was momentarily fooled by one of these too.

I was having trouble with my Neteller account and I was expecting an email with some security requirments. I'd say this is one of the scammers most likely sucess scenarios were people are already having issues with their paypay/netteller account.

When I did follow the link it was to some netteller looking page with a jpeg 'padlock'. Shortly after that I discovered some sort of trojan in my IE temp files, it may have been from that site.

Always be folding
Old 09-15-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://signin.ebay-quick.com/eBayISAPI/index.htm

Click Respond Now for update your information."

i followed the link, entering silly info like "1234" etc, but arrived at my real page in the end anyway! how come?

[/ QUOTE ]

After you submit the information, the phisher redirects you to the real "My eBay" page. If you have the settings in your My eBay page to keep you logged in, every time you go to the page you don't have to log in.