Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Limit or No Limit Tournaments as a diet??

I'm a regular poster on the MTT board and have enjoyed some moderate success at MTT's. I've taken a small stake out of my PokerStars winnings and have been building a bankroll at the .50/1 and 1/2 Limit Tables. Again, moderate success but not enough hands under my belt to analyze yet.

Question: I'd love to hear if any of the regular Limit players participate frequently in MTT's or should my diet consist of one or the other as the playing strategies are WAY different?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Limit or No Limit Tournaments as a diet??

I usually play 1 or 2 MTTs a week, although it's usually on my play day off so I can just relax for a few hours with one table or maybe two.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:52 PM

I sometimes play limit SNG's at the 55 and 100 level because the opposition in those is terrible, consisting mainly of loose passive players and people who thought they were joining an NL table.

I'm also currently playing the satellites for the PPM V cruise because it's my hope to get on TV and then watch the episode with jason_t so he can shake his head at the donk plays I make at the final table.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:53 PM

Thanks.....I've been known to multi table with a MTT and Limit game at the same time. Is this just stupid?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:26 PM

I do it as well, but I never do it with more than 4 tables so I don't get confused. I also don't play MTTs on my home skin so they look different.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes play limit SNG's at the 55 and 100 level because the opposition in those is terrible, consisting mainly of loose passive players and people who thought they were joining an NL table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,
I've never considered limit SNGs, what would u compare the skill level (2/4, 3/6, 5/10, etc) at the 33s, 55s, and 109s to?
Thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,
I've never considered limit SNGs, what would u compare the skill level (2/4, 3/6, 5/10, etc) at the 33s, 55s, and 109s to?
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a couple 55s last night and then seemed to be on the order of the 2/4 game and the one I'm playing in right now looks more like a 1/2 game.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Well I've always been a limit cash player, so when I went to tournaments, I started off at limit.

Party has a $4k guarantee at 6am EST that I have played in about 10 times. In those 10 times I've cashed 5 times with 2 FTs. The competition is pretty horrible, and for some unknown reason when people join a limit tourney and think it is NL, their goal becomes to lose as quickly as possible.

Now compare to this my NL MTT record, in which I've probably played about 30-40 with only a few cashes and no FTs, I would say that im a better limit player.

Clearly the big money is in NL tourneys, and I've been working on becoming a better NL player, but if you play limit cash games, it is going to translate pretty well into the limit tournaments. There are also going to be smaller fields and weaker competition (most of the people will be in it by accident).

A few things are going to change from normal limit games, as reading your opponents becomes incredibly important in the later stages, where the stakes are so high it becomes a massive crapshoot. There also is going to be more luck and less skill than in NL tourneys, but for a good beginner this probably helps you, since you will still keep your advantage over bad beginners but gigabet and JJ wont be able to beat you down too much.