Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: My First Year of Limit Poker (long)

Madtown, I thought we were tight

How'd you forget an 80s rock god?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Madtown, I thought we were tight

How'd you forget an 80s rock god?

[/ QUOTE ]

*cries*
Old 08-27-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually put together a big binder of info, including photocopied pages from SSH, TOP, HEFAP, ITPM, among others, along with tons of graphs and PT stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

You & I started at about the same time, and it looks like we've followed pretty similar paths since. And btw, my family worried about the poker thing, too, until I started showing them my cashouts. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 02:39 PM

What's all this happy horse-[censored]? Get on to killing year 2, slacker!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-d
Old 08-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Happy anniversary. Congrats on your success this past year. Always good to see familiar faces (SN's?) doing well.

Best of luck going forward.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:11 PM

I'm looking forward to meeting you in November.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], jason_t.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Did you have any hard times, and what did you do to get through them?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Great post. I liked hearing about how you told your family. That something I would like to do at some point, but for now, my wife is at least passively supportive. Once I can convince her my success over the last year is due to skill and not luck I think I'll be able to be proud of my poker accomplishments.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone -- guys like Harv, meep, QTip, and detruncate, it's been cool to kind of "come up" at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have any hard times, and what did you do to get through them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to be pretty risk-averse when it comes to my bankroll. Like I've said, the biggest hits have been withdrawals. I'm usually well rolled for the limit I'm at, or I'm taking a shot and ready to move down right away.

The downswings start to roll off your back after awhile, especially when you're a proven winner at the limit. That's one of the few nice things about the grind. I've never gotten worried about downswings at 2/4 and 3/6 or even back at .5/1 and 1/2, because while I know I have so much room for improvement, I had played so many hands at those limits that I knew I was at least a 1 - 1.5 BB winner at them (this is probably not true in the 3/6 full any more -- I haven't played it in months). Stay well rolled (at least 300 BB) and keep reminding yourself that variance is a dirty whore. If you have a big downswing, don't be afraid to move down, if only to rebuild your confidence.

Other tough times are, really, like the one I'm in right now regarding 6m and specifically 5/10. Moving up to a new limit and getting crushed, or breaking even for a long stretch, can be demoralizing more than a downswing at a limit you know you're a winner at. Right now I'm breakeven at 5/10 after something like 25k hands, which is certainly possible variance. But I kind of doubt I'm more than a 1 BB winner in the game anyway as I'm still learning how to play a lot of marginal decisions postflop against higher aggression.

Pretty much anything that happens that makes you reconsider whether you're much more than a marginal winner at best is difficult, but probably good, since it forces you to start seeking out what mistakes you're making.

Last unrelated note: VEGAS NOVEMBER 4th! VEGAS BABY, VEGAS!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. I liked hearing about how you told your family. That something I would like to do at some point, but for now, my wife is at least passively supportive. Once I can convince her my success over the last year is due to skill and not luck I think I'll be able to be proud of my poker accomplishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another small benefit of the grind. Being able to hand my Dad a printout of PT stats with like 50k hands where I was winning 2 BB/100 at .5/1 in my first two months was helpful. Nothing impressive to 2p2ers, but to normal people 50,000 hands is an insane number and to be beating it at a solid rate and being able to do a confidence interval for him really helped. My dad's no statistician, but he got the point.