Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-27-2005, 05:00 AM

Default 10-20: that short stack makes betting my set awkward...

10/20 NL. Short stack has $450, the effective stack for main villain and me is $2300.

Short stack opens for $50, I call with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], passive calling station surprisingly pops it to $140, short stack calls, I call.

Flop:

7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Short stack acts first and bets $150, leaving him with $150 behind (?!?!?!) I am next. I...?

I am putting main villain 95% on AA-KK here. What's the best betting sequence to stack him off? We each have $2150 more.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: 10-20: that short stack makes betting my set awkward...

I think raising to 500 here is best and here is why: If you're pretty sure villain has aa or kk, then he will reraise you no matter what you do because he doesn't want any draws to hit. If you were to just call 150 and the villain bumps it up, correct play would be to push, but there is a problem with that. It looks mighty suspicious to call 150 and then reraise and the villain could put you on your set or even just 2 pair and let his big pair go.

But if you raise, he will still reraise you to see where you are at. It's better to make it 500 because then his reraise will be close to committing him. (If he min raises, it'll leave him with 1300). Now it gets a little tricky. If you think that he will call an all in if you hesitate and then push, go for it. If not, you just have to call and pray that a scare card doesn't come off.

And there are a lot of them. If you call his flop rereraise he now has you on a10, jacks, queens, possibly 2 hearts, or a hand like 10,8 hearts. There are a lot of cards that could come off on the turn or river that could kill your action. If any heart, 6,8,10,j, or queen comes off he will be scared you made your straight/flush/set. That's 25 cards. If he has kings, then add a few aces to the list of scare cards. Use good judgment and if you think you can get him to call your push on the flop go for it.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:26 AM

really depends on how aggressive villain thinks you are.

fim
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 AM

are you sure you cant make more on average by not going for the stack off here?

seems counterintuitive i know but a good opponent with AA/KK is getting away here alot if youre tight

maybe just calling is best, then he HAS to raise for sure, the draws...
Old 08-27-2005, 12:02 PM

if you are that sure he has aces or kings, then a call is best.

there is no way he cant raise in that spot with that action.

it looks like you have a draw or weak made hand and are getting in cheap.

i would flat call his raise, then get the rest in on the turn, unless your image is a bit over agg and crazy, then maybe you could try the flat call/3 bet flop line, but i dont love that.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Call..are you really considering anything else? He will definitely raise. The real question should be after you call and he raises, then what do you do? Do you just call or do you just move in?

Edit: So many turn cards kill your action, FSU are you sure you just smooth call and then get it in on the turn? How many times do we see the smooth call by someone, a raise, and then they move in on the flop and it's just a flush draw...
Old 08-27-2005, 12:15 PM

id slowplay this hand as much as humanly possible, considering the curcumstances... this board is extremely draw heavy and this guy almost certainly has AA/KK so check/call flop and turn and pay for blanks... value bet river.
if you staert giving him alot action in a dry sidepot, he is prob gonna muck really fast.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call..are you really considering anything else? He will definitely raise. The real question should be after you calla nd he raises, then what do you do? Do you just call or do you just move in?

[/ QUOTE ]id just call.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So many turn cards kill your action, FSU are you sure you just smooth call and then get it in on the turn? How many times do we see the smooth call by someone, a raise, and then they move in on the flop and it's just a flush draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

the dry side pot is a big factor here however. makes a flush draw that much less likely if theres a 3 bet.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id slowplay this hand as much as humanly possible, considering the curcumstances... this board is extremely draw heavy and this guy almost certainly has AA/KK so check/call flop and turn and pay for blanks... value bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the board is draw-heavy, then that's exactly why I wouldn't want to slowplay this hand. Too many cards could kill me from getting paid off/any action.

I vote for playing this hand fast, making it seem like hero is trying to isolate and play this hand HU against the short stack. Especially if hero strongly suspects villain has AA/KK.