Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Ever think about the people you win money from?

[ QUOTE ]
How would you know if they were addicted or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I stated explicitly that they were (you know this to be true) and that they were being hustled (you are actively trying to get them to play/keep playing in the future), and that if you were NOT doing this you were doing nothing wrong. If you hustle no one (which is never necessary online since there are 10s of thousands waiting to play every time you logon), then you will never have to worry about determining if they're addicted or not.

From the rest of your latest comments am I to assume that you are both making good money playing poker online while at the same time worrying intensely if that gravy train will continue? If that is the case then you should be doing something else you won't have to worry about. If that's not the case, why have you waited until the middle of a monster poker explosion trend to start worrying?

No income source is necessarily ever secure. Get all you can get while you can get it and worry later (or go do something else now).
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Live Poker As Example

Taking my live play as an example, most of them are probably middle aged and old people with money to blow. Poker is just another game.

However, some are people that can't afford it. You can tell the ones that take thier paycheck to buy lottery tickets, but instead they played poker this week. Those are in the minority though, most are probably rich and stupid.

Some think they are winners, but are fundamentally incapable of winning. My friend tried so hard to be a winning player, but he is a walking mass of tilt. So he will never be a winning player.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Live Poker As Example

I couldn't care less about them
If they end up homeless I dont care
When I do something stupid thats my responsibity, not anybody elses.So when they piss there money away at poker instead of shinyball (roulette) so be it
If they end up in the street somebody else will fill their seat
How many lives do you think doyle has helped ruin?
I doubt he knows or cares
Old 03-21-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....scorpion-eating meerkat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just bust a gut laughing at that thought for some reason.

edit:
Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 AM

A friend of mine who plays at the Oaks in Emeryville, CA related this little story:

A guy says he's been sitting at the poker table too long, says his wife is expecting him home. "When were you supposed to be home?"
"Oh, about 3 hours ago. I told her I was going out to buy milk and a loaf of bread!"
Old 03-22-2005, 09:14 AM

When I play at Turning Stone the 20/40 on the weekends theres some guys you know that go there and you see them at the craps table, and maybe some slots with there wife and then they stroll in and hop in teh 20/40 game with you and you just know they just cashed there paycheck and its friday and they really are way over there head, and really should be home using that money to feed there kids.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 PM

I do not think or care about the people I win money from. At all. Except to figure out how to extract even more money.