Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Question for SF Bay Area players

Normally, I play 20-40 or 40-80 at Bay101 one night a week, typically Wednesdays. However, the Shooting Stars event is going on there for the next week or so, with today being the first day of the event, and I imagine the room is going to be a zoo.

So...what to do? Does Garden City or Lucky Chances still spread a mid-week 20 game? Last time I played the 20 games in those rooms on a weeknight, they were pretty poor games (just one table, not a whole lot of action, etc.) Same with the AJ 15 game.

There were some good 20 and 40 games at Bay101 during last year's SS tournament, but the room as a whole was just nuts, with long waits and lots of commotion. Since I only get to play one night a week, I'd like to make the most of it (minimal hassle, maximum game selection). To be honest, I kinda resent the presence of the tournament, as it means the usual Bay101 20 game, with its familiar soft spots and known faces, isn't going to go down.

Any other mid-limit players have similar thoughts, or am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Question for SF Bay Area players

[ QUOTE ]

So...what to do? Does Garden City or Lucky Chances still spread a mid-week 20 game? Last time I played the 20 games in those rooms on a weeknight, they were pretty poor games (just one table, not a whole lot of action, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

In the very late afternoon, Garden City is now typically running three 20-40 games, with two of them chained must-moves. Sometimes two games total, once I've seen four, but three seems to be the usual.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 PM

LC always has 20 game(s) going. I haven't played that game for ages, though, no idea how it is. AJs 15 is always a great action game. You must have caught it on a bad night.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So...what to do? Does Garden City or Lucky Chances still spread a mid-week 20 game? Last time I played the 20 games in those rooms on a weeknight, they were pretty poor games (just one table, not a whole lot of action, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

In the very late afternoon, Garden City is now typically running three 20-40 games, with two of them chained must-moves. Sometimes two games total, once I've seen four, but three seems to be the usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to add that the Garden games have some insane action.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to add that the Garden games have some insane action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the games of late seem even softer than ever as well, though that could just be the view through the two-month-long heater I've been enjoying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 04:43 AM

LC 20 game sometimes doesn't go on Wednesday nights due to the big NL game. But when it goes it's good.

Bay 101 is a madhouse this week, but the lists weren't so bad once people started busting out of the tournament today and tables opened up for top-section games.

A lot of the unfamiliar faces there are not very good at limit hold 'em. Although some of them are excellent, but the excellent ones are going to play the 100-200 game.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks, guys, I'll keep those other suggestions in mind for next time. I've been playing Bay101 exclusively for a few months now, as the 20 games there have just been too good. Tonight was no exception: I got there just after 5:00, and was actually able to get a seat in a new 20-40 by 5:20. I crushed the game for about $2700, so I'm feeling like I made a good decision. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Matt runs a good tournament (duh!), and the room was actually pretty reasonable. Wish I had the bankroll to play the 100-200, as it looked pretty good, although it and the 40-80 broke up rather early.

Saw lots of well known players in the room for the PPT tournament. All in all, a pretty good night...