Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 02-10-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Trapping a LAG

Min raise him. I've seen this work against LAGs. You get into a minraising war because they want to put the last raise in and make you call it. I've seen it go back and forth until one player was all in. Other times, like here when the raise is low compared to the stack sizes, eventually someone breaks it off.

Then the turn brings a scare card and it's check/check check/check

Pair of 9's wins.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 PM

i think i would take a different approach here. doubtful that you can win much on this hand. i would use it for table image. everyone at the table is watching. think about what i want my opponents to do and create the appropriate image.

personally, i hate a person that puts in $2 in a $4 pot. I also hate that the f-er didnt just fold preflop. i think i would go all in and type something like..."get that weak sh1t out of here". I dont like to be mean but i would encourage him to continue making mistakes by betting bigger and bluffing more into you.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Personally I dont think the min-raise is a bad play here. I, too, am not worried about draws and I think that the min-raise sometimes can really get under the skin of a LAG. It looks like weakness, so I think LAGs read it as "I know you are a LAG and I have a pair, so I dare you to call this with your garbage." But there is a decent chance that the LAG has a hand here (otherwise he would have bet more, right? The LAGs always seem to slow down for some reason when they actually have something. Talk about defeating yourself.) so I think there is a very good chance you get a large re-raise out of min-raising here. Against a normal opponent, I raise here, because I raise a lot heads up against normal opponents so there is no point in not raising when I actually have a hand.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Results (Boring)

I raised to $10, trying to look like I didn't want a call. He folded quickly. I was thinking he either had something or he didn't, and it turned out he didn't. I'm guessing at best he had bottom pair or a gutshot straight draw.

He might have called a smaller raise, but I would have had to check the turn to show weakness and induce a bluff on the river. With the board like it is, 1/3 of the deck is going to be cards I don't like. I want to get as much money in here as I can.

Fundamentally, I'm not going to get much out of this hand unless either he's got a reasonable 2nd best hand, or I can convince him I'll fold to a big bet. Min raise might have been the way to do that, but I'm not convinced that looks weaker in this situation than a slight overbet.