Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 AM

Default .05/.1 stud starting hands (i\'m learning stud)

So i want to learn stud so i hav some money in at pacific. The strucutre is: .02 ante with a bring in of 2 cents.

i've read 7csfap but i'm wondering how to adopt their strategy to this game where their is (99%) of the time no way to get a pots heads up even close
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: .05/.1 stud starting hands (i\'m learning stud)

Pay particular attention to the loose game section of 7csfap.
That said, I think you'll find Roy West's "7 Card Stud: How to Win at Medium and Lower Limits" a lot more helpful in learning stud as a beginner.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Some parts of 7CS4AP aren't going to be very applicable to this game. There is a significant section devoted to ante-stealing, and a section devoted to defense against it. This will almost never come up. If there is a scenario where you would ordinarily raise or re-raise to get it heads-up, but you can't expect to get it heads-up because the players are so loose, don't raise for that reason. The sections on starting hands and the section on loose games in particular are still going to be valid.

I would suggest playing somewhat bigger if you can. I can't imagine anyone taking a $.05/.10 game very seriously. Playing against people who care at least a little about the money should be more instructive than playing for pennies. You might as well be playing for play money. Also, this game has an over-ante which will distort your perception of how stud plays which may work against you when you move up to games with a saner ante structure.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. Only reason i'm playing so low is i dont' have a large bankroll in general but i'll keep that in mind. I did pretty well in the 1-5 spread limit no ante game at Turning Stone (and I think that just about everyone at the table was easily 40 years older then me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

What is considered a normal ante in compairson to the bring/small bet/big bet?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:55 PM

I recently made this post on the subject of ante structure.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:57 PM

thanks

postcount++
Old 01-08-2005, 06:12 AM

Play anything that even resembles a hand mentioned in 7CSFAP.

Disregard paired door cards unless they are giving a hell of a lot of action.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 AM

Hahahahah case in point: just finished a hand where i was rolled with kings ... completed in 3rd position with 2 aces behind me. one ace re-raises 3rd ace calls couple of other calls i pop it again he caps it. anyway 4th street i see two more aces come out...1 to the guy who capped it the other to some random guy. Me and this guy cap it the whole way (i caught kings full on 6th) at the end of the hand he just has aces didn't even have any wacky draws to go with he. He types in chat "Darn wanted you to think I had aces full"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did pretty well in the 1-5 spread limit no ante game at Turning Stone (and I think that just about everyone at the table was easily 40 years older then me

[/ QUOTE ]

1-5 Stud with old people at the stone is the most fun I have playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did pretty well in the 1-5 spread limit no ante game at Turning Stone (and I think that just about everyone at the table was easily 40 years older then me

[/ QUOTE ]

1-5 Stud with old people at the stone is the most fun I have playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was up there once and played in that game and I agree it was pretty nice until it broke up around 1. There was a guy who would play to the river every hand and fold to any bet, then there was another guy who was too blind to see across the table and notice my open trips!