Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet SNGs (rant)

HI Mack

I can see how almost doubling the amount of time it takes to complete a SNG can be annoying, but I guess that's the price you have to pay, in order to increase your chances of success.

Concerning the UB miniview, in the beginning, I found it to be very confusing, but it only takes a little while to get to now it. Actually, I now find it easier using the miniview to get a complete picture of the game ( how many left, small/big stack and so on) in comparison to the normal view.

What I found funny was, that you were actually complaining about people playing tight when on the bubble, almost making it sound like it wasn't fair, that the opponents weren't just donating their chips to a worthy cause (the buy-Mack-a-Caddy Foundation [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
One thing, however,a frien of mine just switched from PP to UB and he thinks that the UB SNG's are WAAAAAAYYYYY easier to beat. So I guess it's matter of, whether the different blinds structure at UB makes up for the fact that PP has more fish.

i myself am quite new to the game and I'm still only playing 5+0,5 at UB. But even though I'm no expert player AT ALL, I find it quite easy to win consistent. Mainly because only a few of those I've encountered so far have managed to adjust their play, from being 10-handed to 3-4 handed. It's like they still think "slow blind increase = take your time, pick your hand).

I hate loosing, to an obviously worse player than me. But I'm pretty sure a lot of people have had that exact same feeling, when they have been loosing to me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2004, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"so I dropped to the 5+.5 and I'm doing better there; ....--and I expect to have about $1500 in bonus by the end of the month."

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me, not mack.

[ QUOTE ]
At $5 sitngo's with a bonus of $2.50 each, you are planning to play 600 sitngos in July? At about an hour each on average, factoring early bustouts, and longer marathon tourneys, thats 25 days straight of sitngo's playing one at a time. So lets say you use the miniview, and play 2 at a time, thats still 12.5 full days. You need to log more than 10 hours a day for 30 days, with no weekend breaks to get that bouns. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 3 at a time and just over 30 hours a week. I also played about 100 $10+1. Early bustouts can tremendously decrease average time. I think the longest matches I get into are firsts, and those are on the order of 80 minutes. Third is about 60 minutes. With an ITM of about 50%, that means half my tourneys are under an hour. Some of my games have been $10+1 and/or 6-handed, which also increases bonus$/hr.

Judging by my current bonus balance and past play, $1500 might be a bit optimistic, but I should easily hit $1200. Not playing any at all on Sunday turned into a big hit, because I can play a lot more on Sunday (Damn their servers!).
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Hi Beck,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give the mini-view another chance to see if that makes multi tabling easier.

I loved your comment about "buy Mack a Caddy" seeing that I just picked one up a few weeks ago!! (ok I'll admit it is an old Caddy and only cost $2k, but it still kicks ass!)

Best of luck on the tables,

Mack
Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played SNG at PP, but the way I see it, the longer the game, the more a good player should benefit, leaving less to luck. Or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but there are a couple of points that counterbalance it. 1) At UB, there are a higher percentage of good (or at least not so bad) players, so it's likely that your competition will be tougher than it would someplace like Party. 2.) Since the sngs at UB take longer, you won't be able to play as many of them. This will reduce your hourly win rate compared to playing at a site with quicker sngs.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:12 PM

Is anybody finding the 10s a lot harder than the fives? I'm about 35% ROI over 100 or so 5s and I've gone something like 5,6,6,4,4,5 in the 10s. It's a really small sample, but I'd like to think I should have moneyed in at least one of the 10s.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:15 PM

You can start 6 tabling. 3 UB mini-view tables in the upper left corner of your screen and 3 party tables in each of the other corners of your screen.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:01 PM

I had 250 $5 SNG with a ROI of around 26%. I now have just over 100 $10 SNG with an ROI of around 5%; however, my first 25 $10 SNG were really rough, and my last 25 SNG have been really good. I think I'll probably be around 15% ROI on the $10 when I hit 250 of the $10. There is definitely an adjustment, and there are definitely both fewer horrible players and more good players at the $10 than at the $5.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that UB will automatically pop-up the window where it is your action. This gets extremely annoying if you are trying to make a decision on another table and it keeps popping others up in your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack, change your screen resolution to much bigger than 800X600 so you tile your screen with the tables. Playing more than one table on small resolution is suicide. Get a 21" monitor then you can tile four tables perfectly on your screen.