Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Ultimate Bet SNGs (rant)

OK I'm steaming and need to get a few things off the chest and hopefully hear about your experiences as well! When the UB SNG promo started 7/1 I figured "Wow I'll clear 2k in bonus $$ easy!" I had never played UB SNGs before this promo only PP. I quickly found out that wouldn't be easy at all and likely it would be $500 in bonus at most. Reasons:

1) PP SNG= 40-70 mins, UB SNG= 60-100 mins
2) Play more than 2 SNGs at the same time= insanity
3) Level of play= rocks so dense they should be called "lead"

Anyone else pulling their hair out over these things??? I made the fatal mistake of playing 3 SNGs at once like I do regularly on PP. Oh my god it popped up windows so often my head started spinning around like in Poltergeist (or was that the Exorcist?) Every time I even tried to hit call or fold it would pop up another screen before I could do it. I went on tilt not from the action but from the SITE! That and the fact it can take nearly 2 freaking hours to finish one is just hideous. Once I hit these issues with the 10 player SNGs, I moved to the 6 players to see if that would help any. Here's a normal 6 player SNG: The 2 maniacs are gone within 10 minutes. Within another 10 minutes it's down to 3 players. The remaining 3 players act like they're at the final table of the WSOP and it takes another 40 minutes to get into the $$. The blinds are still so low when you reach 2 players it gets so boring that I fall asleep. It gets so old that it kills my play, I think I'm around 10% ROI for the month on there. What is up with these things? And more pressing... will anyone continue playing them after July is over? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mack
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet SNGs (rant)

you should adjust to the play instead of complaining.... I personally love playing vs predictable rocks.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM

It's funny to hear that from the other side of the fence. I recently moved to Party and I miss UB terribly, if only because my LAG plays were huge money makers against the rocks and because the slow pace allowed for much better reads. It certainly is much different. I'll give you that.

Brett
Old 07-19-2004, 05:11 PM

That is funny, Brett! Aren't you playing UB this month in order to rake in bonus $$? So what are your thoughts/rants about PP SNGs... I'd like to hear them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mack
Old 07-19-2004, 05:22 PM

Mack,
I *was* playing at UB for the bonus dollars, but I was only a marginally winning player there, and I thought I'd easily be a player with a 30-40% ROI at the Party $10+$1s because of the huge difference in skill that I'm always hearing about. After the switch, I didn't make any adjustments whatsoever with regard to my play, and after having played on UB for awhile, the Party system seemed like the system from hell. The quickly increasing blinds (in both time and amount) and the lower starting chips threw me into a tailspin. As you've probably figured out, I lost like crazy initially (-50% ROI), but things seem to be turning around a bit now that I've played about sixty SNGs. The ROI is still negative and it has only been a week and a half, but I think I may have finally adjusted enough to be a break-even player. (Ugh Lee)

Good luck on UB,
Brett
Old 07-19-2004, 08:00 PM

i started off kind of dreading that UB was going to do this.
'dammit....they're going to sucker me in to playing SNG's the whole freaking month'
i didn't consider myself to be a very good SNG player but thought i'd give it a try and see how i liked it. if i backed out after 2 or 3 days because i hated it or was getting killed then so be it.

now - i'm thrilled to death that they did this promotion. my ROI is around 15% now....which isn't great...but this is after a lousy losing streak near the start when i was still pushing all-in and calling all-in way too frequently.

the volume of SNG's i have played have turned me into a half-way decent SNG player since then....or at least i like to think so.

the 6-maxes were really good for me....and now i'm fooling around with the full-table SNG's. i have finished 1st in 2 out of 3 of the 30+3's today....so naturally i'm in a good mood.

the amount of money i'm making on this isn't much...but at least i'm not losing.
the bonus-dollars i'm collecting will take about a decade to clear...but at least i'm collecting bonus-dollars.

most importantly though....is that i truly believe that the opportunity to play in these SNG's a bit more cheaply (because of the bonus-dollars i'm getting back) has given me the opportunity to improve my SNG game from break-even (or even slight-loser) to a bit more on the positive side.

i also feel that it has helped me improve my short-table play immensely...on the 6-maxes, you can get down to 4-players pretty quick....it's great practice that i think translates (somewhat) to short-table limit and NL.

get back to me later this week after i've dropped 7 or 8 SNG's in a row and i will likely have changed my tune by then. but for now...i'm still very much enjoying this promotion...which is impressive because i really didn't think i was going to keep at it for longer than a week.

i will be very interested to see how screwed up i am and how long it takes for me to re-adjust when i try to play a party SNG.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 AM

Three at a time doesn't bother me. It's a bit slow. The trick is to not start them all at the same time, or at least not be on three tables with less than four players. UB doesn't allow 4-tabling, so 3 is the max.

The rocks take time getting used to. I was getting beat down on the 10+1, so I dropped to the 5+.5 and I'm doing better there; about 30% ROI. It's a cheap way to learn tourney, NL, and shorthanded experience--and I expect to have about $1500 in bonus by the end of the month. The fact that these things take an hour is a pain in the ass, I agree. It should, theoretically, give me a chance to exercise skill, but I don't have that much yet. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2004, 05:19 AM

I haven't played SNG at PP, but the way I see it, the longer the game, the more a good player should benefit, leaving less to luck. Or am I missing something?

Whats the difference between multitabling at UB and PP? At least UB has the mini-view.

Finally if you think people ar e too tight at 6-persons when it gets down to the bubble, shouldn't you just be more agressive, knowing when to steal the blinds?

So basically what you are complaining about is, that everybody isn't playing like total retards?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Hi Beck,

<font color="blue">I haven't played SNG at PP, but the way I see it, the longer the game, the more a good player should benefit, leaving less to luck. Or am I missing something?</font>

-You're not missing anything here, I suppose when you get used to a SNG taking 40-60 minutes, having to play 80-100 minutes for the same stakes can get old. But you are right it should help the more experienced player.

<font color="blue">Whats the difference between multitabling at UB and PP? At least UB has the mini-view.</font>

-If you are able to adjust to the mini-view than congrats! So far I can't do it. The difference is that UB will automatically pop-up the window where it is your action. This gets extremely annoying if you are trying to make a decision on another table and it keeps popping others up in your face. On PP, you must click on the table in order to act, no interupting occurs. I like the PP system much better as it allows you to control the tempo.

<font color="blue">Finally if you think people ar e too tight at 6-persons when it gets down to the bubble, shouldn't you just be more agressive, knowing when to steal the blinds?</font>

-Absolutely. I tried this a few times as strategy suggests and got burned when opponents on a short stack re-raised with big hands and I tried to eliminate them (as you should) and they kept doubling up and the game took forever. Just ranting about those experiences.

<font color="red">So basically what you are complaining about is, that everybody isn't playing like total retards?</font>

-I'll have to admit you have a great point here! (haven't you ever steamed about losing to poor players though?) Thanks for making me think... now I realize how many idiots there are on PP that makes it "fun" to play there as you can pummell opponents when you hit a big flop. Now that my rant is over UB would probably be a good place to improve the overall game. Thanks for the reply.

-Mack.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:24 PM

"so I dropped to the 5+.5 and I'm doing better there; ....--and I expect to have about $1500 in bonus by the end of the month."

At $5 sitngo's with a bonus of $2.50 each, you are planning to play 600 sitngos in July? At about an hour each on average, factoring early bustouts, and longer marathon tourneys, thats 25 days straight of sitngo's playing one at a time. So lets say you use the miniview, and play 2 at a time, thats still 12.5 full days. You need to log more than 10 hours a day for 30 days, with no weekend breaks to get that bouns. Good luck