Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Is this always a three bet?

Tight 10/20 b/m. I am in the sb with AA bb is a good soild player. mp is an idiot spraying chips has lost a rack in 20 min has one more. he open limps lp decent player raises folded to me. Is it ok to just call knowing your gambling a little in hopes of winning a bigger pot. Or is this just gambling and not poker?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Is this always a three bet?

[ QUOTE ]
mp is an idiot spraying chips

[/ QUOTE ]

Always a 3-bet. He won't fold and he may spew chips back at you later with a lesser hand even though you 3-bet preflop.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 PM

King high,

I really like 3-betting pre-flop. Letting a "good, solid player" in the hand seems like a mistake here (and if he was going to fold anyway if you had just called then you have missed a bet). If the BB was another poor player then I think you would have a better case for just calling.

-- Manzanita
Old 08-24-2004, 06:56 PM

I like to 3-bet here because A) I don't want to chance having to share the chip-sprayer with a good solid player who has position on me; and B) the chip-sprayer will not necessarily put you on A-A or even anything close because he himself would 3-bet with a much wider range of hands than you would. I save my deception for either one-on-one situations or more analytical players.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 PM

two things here:

1) presence of chip spraying opponent mandates a 3 bet.

and

2) imagining the chip sprayer wasn't there also mandates a 3bet against an open raising late position player.

the first one is obvious because you may get a lot of action and thats what you want...lp may have kk and cap it thus forcing the chip sprayer to but 2 bbs into a pot against two far superior hands (dead money for you) ... also, he WILL NOT FOLD for those bets so why try to get a good player in there with you when you can be 3 way for 3 bets. thats better than 4 way for 2 bets...

in the second case, you want to disguise your hand when you have aces. if you smooth call from the sb the good player will sense trouble and it won't do you any good on the bigger streets. if you 3bet the players can think you have AJ on up the AK or really 66-JJ and will tend to thinkg, "oh, he'd just call with aces there since he doesn't wanna lose customers." so you should 3 bet a large majority of the time...as you would with AK-AJ etc...

-Barron
Old 08-24-2004, 08:01 PM

Hello Dci,

I agree that a 3-bet is probably better pre-flop.

However, you state
[ QUOTE ]
if you smooth call from the sb the good player will sense trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that's true. Nothing in King High's post mentions the other player's perception of him. Heck, if I was the button and even if I knew a SB player well I wouldn't automatically suspect "Monster" if he or she called my LP raise.

[ QUOTE ]
and it won't do you any good on the bigger streets

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calling has the potential to do good on bigger streets depending on the action.

Regards,
Jamie