Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Default NEPC Hand

No limit I have 1,600 in chips 3rd level i just lost Most of my stack On a terrible play when I shoved my QQ against AA. Blinds are 50-75. I am in Co with JJ, UTG Limps UTG+1 Limps It is then raised to 300. I call (does anyone reraise here?) the rest fold UTG call UTG+1 folds. Flop/ 5 8 9 Rainbow UTG checks Raiser all-In has me coverd but not by much. I have a strong feeling he did not flop a set. Put Him on AQ or something simalar. I call he shows 5D7D for the straight. A pre-flop re-raise may have saved me but i didn't feel it was the right move. Please just looking for some insight. thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: NEPC Hand

Have you noticed this raiser have the ability to fold preflop after entering, or doing an unusual amount of raising? If so, raise all-in. If not, I am not sure between calling or folding. I have folded JJ preflop more than once in my life and I think I had the best hand preflop most times. You can't love your hand, but it isn't a rotten one either.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:10 PM

Unless you're trapping or in some other way taking advantage of some peculiarity you know about a specific player, you can state with high confidence that you almost never limp in for 20% of your stack preflop. It is simply wrong 99% of the time.

Here, most of the time I would've reraised all-in preflop, hoping to either win it there, or to play it heads-up against a hand that is probably at least a little worse than mine. If I run into AA-QQ, oh well.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-31-2004, 12:54 PM

I'm surprised at your aswer Greg.

I would have mucked.

With 2 early limpers and then a raiser, I figure my jacks are not that good of a hand. And with stacks that deep, there's no need to push a marginal hand here.

comments?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at your aswer Greg.

I would have mucked.

With 2 early limpers and then a raiser, I figure my jacks are not that good of a hand. And with stacks that deep, there's no need to push a marginal hand here.

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a funny idea of 'deep'. With blinds of 50/75, 'deep' would be stacks of at *least* 5000 or more. He's got barely 20x the BB. Not desperate, but medium-shallow at best. Definitely at the point where my preflop responses to a raise are almost always going to be either fold or all-in. Unless I knew the raiser was a rock here, I think I would push as well.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 PM

Hi,

I agree that the stacks are not that deep per say, but 20x the BB is usually pretty deep in a typical tournament. And I agree it's a raise or all-in. But with 1600 and blinds of 50-75, he has plenty of time to wait.

With 800 in chips, I would have probably said all-in.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:26 PM

I was at your table and I thought that you become a little gun shy after your big confrontation with the AA. If you were more familiar with the style of the player to your right you probably would have pushed it in preflop correctly as he was reraising 1.5x to 2x the pot with suited connectors in late position every 2 orbits or so.

IS

Old 03-31-2004, 06:43 PM

I would think there is only a small chance that the JJ is facing an overpair here, so he would like to win it now, or limit the field to heads-up. I think there is just too little chance that you don't have significant +EV by getting it all-in here. If the first limper turns over AA or KK, oh well. Most of the time, the limpers will fold, and the raiser may fold or call with a medium-good hand. And that's fine.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)