Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Curtains: screw the 10 BB \'rule\'

[ QUOTE ]
Well you're 10x as good as me...so I don't know what I can do other than agree and start playing it this way...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, you know you're responding to 45suited, not Curtains, right? I wouldn't claim to be 10x better than anyone. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
for my heads sake though - can't you just kill this fly with a fly-swatter and get out of the way to an AI re-raise?
....or is that a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

My take: how are you gonna fold to an AI re-raise from an unknown? What if the guy's got 88 and he views your standard raise as a button steal? No way would I fold to a re-raise, for that reason. I just push here, but if you want explanations from a smart guy, ask Curtains, not 45suited. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well you're 10x as good as me...so I don't know what I can do other than agree and start playing it this way...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, you know you're responding to 45suited, not Curtains, right? I wouldn't claim to be 10x better than anyone. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
for my heads sake though - can't you just kill this fly with a fly-swatter and get out of the way to an AI re-raise?
....or is that a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

My take: how are you gonna fold to an AI re-raise from an unknown? What if the guy's got 88 and he views your standard raise as a button steal? No way would I fold to a re-raise, for that reason. I just push here, but if you want explanations from a smart guy, ask Curtains, not 45suited. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think perhaps you are underestimting my suckiness, sir. ...but for your sake, we'll reduce it to 3x as good.

Coolio?

I don't play a crapload...so I can always hope I've just been running cold and that it just takes me more physical time to play through the these streaks 'cuz of my low volume.

Anyways... I wasn't saying I WOULD fold to an AI...just saying I like giving myself the CHANCE too....

Would you standard raise if the blinds were classicaly weak-tight?

Also - you're probably right about the reduced steal ranges against a button raiser... I need to think of that stuff more often in those spots...

Then again...if I push there more often, I wouldn't have those spots in the first place, so...yeah...
Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 AM

I've started pushing in situations like this as well for reasons that sofere describes. Situations like this when blinds are getting high and I standard raise and then the flop misses me always cause me problems. You may even luck out and get called by AJ (or any ace rag at the lower levels) or KQ. People really love to defend their blinds with ace rag. I see it so frequently.

Do you fold if you standard raise and they re-raise you all-in? If not you may as well push it right?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:49 AM

This is an automatic push to me, Id never remotely consider anything else. I found my results improved when I played more robotically in such situations, and stopped trying to be greedy and squeeze some EV out of situations. Also if you raise to 250-300, you cant fold to a reraise no matter what. AQo is way too powerful a holding on the button.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found my results improved when I played more robotically in such situations, and stopped trying to be greedy and squeeze some EV out of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this thread just helped me find a huge leak.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 AM

Yeha I mean its already worth like about $15-$20 to just push in the $215s, do I really expect another play to be worth more $?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is an automatic push to me, Id never remotely consider anything else. I found my results improved when I played more robotically in such situations, and stopped trying to be greedy and squeeze some EV out of situations. Also if you raise to 250-300, you cant fold to a reraise no matter what. AQo is way too powerful a holding on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I make this sort of 10-15BB push a lot myself, to avoid sticky situations and simplify my play for bajillion-tabling. I assume you play AK the same?

Same spot, same stacks what are you doing with

AJ?
99-JJ?
QQ-AA?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:23 AM

I play the same always with AQo. My opponents depend on how I play other hands. If the blinds are people I play with a lot I will often push the best hands sometimes, so they will know that I do it. I may even show the hand as well. AJo I would push also, the hand is too powerful on the button. Makes life easy somehow.

There are some things I would raise to 250-300 with....such as TT+ and sometimes AK against some opponents or some other random hands that I would likely fold to a reraise.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:33 AM

When I'm in late position, I tend to play a hand slower because I want to use my positional advantage. I will push the exact same hand from the blinds because it's hard to play high non-pair hands (AK, AQ) out of position and they tend to gain value when they can goto the river.

Is this over-thinking the situation and should I play it more robotically?

2nd part question: When you say that your "results improved when I played more robotically in such situations"...what do you mean by "such situations". Is there one thing particularly about this situation that makes you push-it...your hand in particular or the stack sizes or the stack sizes in relation to the blinds?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:05 AM

Push. You're not folding to a re-raise after you make a standard raise so you might as well push.