Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Tricky (for me) river spot

Villian is a Tagish kind of passive kind of tricky player. Ok I guess. Comments on all streets very welcome. I think his turn bet is often a diamond draw/top pair. Axs very possible too. Flopped boat is possible too. Basically I'm in a tricky spot on the river. How best to maximize value and minimize loss here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($101.95)
Hero ($278.35)
Button ($181.60)
SB ($191.20)
BB ($200)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15.

Turn: ($49) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($69) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

-SmileyEH
Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Tricky (for me) river spot

you could check raise and fold to a push.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM

I would bet again on the turn as he could really just have a middle pocket pair too and he will release it most of the time with the Ace.

In this hand he dont look like he is very strong with his small turn bet, but he could be the kind of player who bet small with a big hand, I just dont see it very often.

I lead on the river for something like 50 $ and I think you will be look upon some of the time, especially because the diamond draw did not make it. Since he is passive, I dont think he will try a bluff enough of the time in this dangerous looking board to compensate for the time he will check back a hand he would have called a bet with.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 PM

I bet 1/2 pot and I hope he thinks it's a blocking bet and raises me. I would just flat call a raise of course.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is a Tagish kind of passive kind of tricky player.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the definition of some of these playing styles you have contradicted yourself. How can he be TAG, passive AND tricky? That makes no sense.