Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Update on My Health and Poker Playing (NC)

Okay, I know most of you couldn't care less. But for the one or two percent who have wondered what the heck is going on with me, and how I'm doing, I'll try to give a little update.

First off, I had to quit chemo halfway through. My veins collapsed and my labs were off the chart (one nurse said to me, jokingly, "I've seen dead people with better labs than yours!"). I would have had to have a little surgery in order to continue, at great risk of infection, and since my labs were so low anyway, the oncologist said I was getting close to the point where recurrance was equal to the risk of death by continuing. Some people were not meant for chemo, and I guess I'm one of them.

At any rate, since I took the most aggressive course of treatment from the beginning (bilateral radical mastectomies), I am considered "cancer-free" unless they find some stray cancer cells in the future.

Okay, so how did this effect my poker playing? Horribly. Which is one of the reasons I asked Beset to co-moderate both forums with me (Thanks, Beset!).

In fact, it is so painful to talk about, that I'd rather you read it yourself on my journal. There are no ads on my journal, I have no commercial interest in getting you there, I simply don't want to type it again, or even copy & paste.

http://felicialee.blogspot.com/2005/...lizations.html

It took me months to finally admit this. And then, when I did, I naturally started getting better, lol. I think some of the problem may have been the loss of capacity at sea. It is well documented that our capacity is severely limited while on a ship at sea (mostly this has to do with physical labor, as well as mental process, but it is a factor nevertheless).

So in the past week, I've slowly started coming around. Dyslexia-like symptoms seem to be fading. My passion for poker seems to be slowly returning. While I'm not ready to make a statement that "I'm back," I do think that my mental ability to play decent, rockish, nutpeddling poker might return, lol. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In fact, Glenn and I are thinking about heading over to Tunica next month for some juicy cash games and I might even enter a tourney, due to the massive amount of chips we're given and the great structure.

http://felicialee.blogspot.com/2005/...ord-again.html

So that is where I stand right now. If you read my latest rant on how all-HE, all the time is hurting poker (in general), you'll see I'm back to my normal, incensed, nail-on-a-chalkboard grating self, haha.

I hope this means good things for the future! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for putting up with my update. And for those who didn't read all the way through, or want to find out more details on my journal, I'll close with my standard send off...

Blow me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Update on My Health and Poker Playing (NC)

My best regards to you Ms. Felicia, <3
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In fact, Glenn and I are thinking about heading over to Tunica next month for some juicy cash games and I might even enter a tourney, due to the massive amount of chips we're given and the great structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

How juicy are these games? I've heard they are ultra-deep 10/25 PLO games (like 20k deep) - is this true?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How juicy are these games? I've heard they are ultra-deep 10/25 PLO games (like 20k deep) - is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Beats me. I haven't been to Tunica in two years, and I was playing almost all Stud then. Not to mention that most of the rooms were still smoking, and the only one that wasn't had low limit poker only.

Sorry.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:36 PM

Felicia, sorry to hear about all of your health troubles and that they are spilling over into your game! I suspect you'll find your skills will return with time. Thanks for sharing your story, and I wish you all the best of health.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 AM

All the best Felicia.

Looking forward to a Tunica trip report.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Okay, so how did this effect my poker playing? Horribly. Which is one of the reasons I asked Beset to co-moderate both forums with me (Thanks, Beset!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the update. These forums have been relatively easy (this one at least) but I appreciate the props.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:16 PM

I've always enjoyed reading your posts and respect your opinion. You have a good sense of humour. I hope you stay well. GL
Old 12-20-2005, 07:57 PM

Felicia,

Your post (and blog entry) is dumb. Dumb. DUMB!

You just went through cancer and chemo (and all sorts of associated nonsense).

Of course you're not going to be as sharp for a while as you were at the peak of your health.

So quit writing like this is some sort of shortcoming on your part or something you should feel bad about. Quit using the word "weakness" and phrases like "I'm not meant for it (poker)" when referring to this. That's ridiculous.

What you are seeing in your game is the exact same thing all of us see when we play when tired, after a few drinks, after a fight with a girlfriend, etc.

You are being way too hard on yourself.

Keep focusing on your health and getting better and stronger. The poker sharpness will take care of itself.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 PM

Blow me, you dope [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I said I wasn't meant for CHEMO, not poker!

Thanks for the reply, though. I've gotten a lot better in the past week. Being on the sea probably didn't help my concentration (although it sure did help my general health and overall spirits!).

Coming to Tunica?