Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: 2 intresting hands for the day

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain your thinking there?

[/ QUOTE ]

as u can see, besides on the flop where I was thinking about Tannenbaum (not sure I agree on his concept, but I decided to try it anyway)...the river was just bad. I think I was talking to Mugaaz and just clicked fold without really thinking it through. I just knew him as a passive player and thought it was possible I was beat...I didnt compare it to the pot or anything, so that was bad.

The hands I usually post are the most intresting or worse played hands Ive had for the day...so some of these make me look like a terrible player. Sorry to say my ADD kicks in sometimes.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:15 PM

So I wrote Barry Tannenbaum about this hand, because I was curious what he'd say. Anyway what he wrote is below.

Thoughts? Not saying he's right or wrong, etc. Just thought it was intresting.

Barry:

I assume you posted this on 2+2 (nickname: All Aggression All the Time). Let’s look at what might happen if you bet.

* Everyone folds. This is good, but unlikely.
* You get two or more callers. This is good too, since you have 12 likely outs (but none for the nuts – and this is important).
* You get one caller or, worse, a check raise and everyone else folds. This is bad as now you are paying two bets for your free card and getting a bad current price.

The point is, you have no idea which one will happen. You have no nut outs, so you could be drawing dead (again, unlikely but certainly possible). It is kind of like limping with 66 UTG. If you get six callers, you did well. If you get raised and re-raised, you wish you didn’t bet. My preference is when I have nothing and if I bet god or bad things might happen is to take the free card and that’s what I wrote. I understand it can be a minority view. So you take your choice. I am just a guy who makes money playing poker and is sharing what he things works for him. If I were playing in a loose passive game where nobody check-raised, I would bet the hand around half the time, maybe more. If I were playing a super tight game where once people checked they tended to always fold, I would bet a lot. In most games, I prefer check here. If I had a gut-shot straight draw and a flush draw and they were both to the nuts, you could convince me to bet more often. And just because I check here does not mean I won’t get another free card on the turn. I like those too.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but none for the nuts – and this is important

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha.

[ QUOTE ]
You have no nut outs

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha.

[ QUOTE ]
If you get raised and re-raised, you wish you didn’t bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahaha!

[ QUOTE ]
If I were playing in a loose passive game where nobody check-raised, I would bet the hand around half the time

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

GoT
Old 12-18-2005, 07:53 PM

Hand 1 - Bet / fold, almost every hand you are behind will raise you, lots of players will pay to draw.

Hand 2 - Bet, monster draw, almost always good. Take control of this hand.

If we check and complete our draw on the turn, we may get bet into but that isn't concrete. I bet and then the rest of the hand plays differently.

I think this can depend a lot on your image. If you are TAG, check. If you are LAG bet.

True
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM

okay so talking with GoT and he's cracking up about BT's advice. When I played the Q9s hand, my goal was to get a discussion on the idea that Tannenbaum presented. I suppose it was retarded, but I found it intresting to see this idea in a cardplayer (something I had not really read before). I have no idea if the writers there are decent/good players, etc.

anyway some of GoTs chat (he went off on this for a bit).

GoT: he completely ignores thefact
GoT: that betting vs checking
GoT: even when you do get exactly 1 caller
GoT: gives you good turn folding equity
GoT: and also
GoT: when you get 2 callers
GoT: you get to check it thru
GoT: as opposed to checking the flop
Me: at least 45 percent equity on that flop
GoT: i.e. not making any money
GoT: and then calling the turn
GoT: when the pot is TINY
GoT: i.e. making v little money
GoT: betting is w/o a doubt
GoT: the best option

Me = retard for today. But you cant fault me for always finding intrest or wanting to start discussion on ideas I come across, retarded or not.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Hand 1 fold preflop, bet the turn

Hand 2 Bet the flop, call the river
Old 12-18-2005, 08:00 PM

beat me to it.