Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Over pair vs. flopped set

This is a I am sure happens to all and I was wondering what the best way to deal with it. online no read 200 n/l stacks the same. You hold A or KK make your normal rasie or re raise get caller or 2 flop comes 972. How often are you losing your stack aginst the flopped set. The problem is many opponets play KK, QQ, JJ same way where a lot of my profits come from just looking for input,
Old 12-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Over pair vs. flopped set

I am probably getting stacked here most of the time.

The only way I could avoid it is if I knew a certain player to be an uber-rock, and could elminate something like KK from his/her holdings.

I might find a way to let it go if a certain player checkraised after solid action from 2 or more players.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Also...since the preflop matchup is 80/20 to the bigger pair if played out to the river...I have to imagine that if you never folded your AA in this situation, heads up, you would only be up against a flopped set like 1 out of 8 times (or something close to that), and something like 8% of THOSE times, you'll pull ahead by hitting another Ace.

It's not something you need to be in constant fear of.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 PM

It's a cost of doing business.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Depends on who flopped the set, and how they play it.

Against most people, with my typical LAG image, I go broke here a lot for 100BBs.

Edit: I also double through a lot, on the same board, though.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:10 PM

Slow down if they call a big bet on a drawless board. Most players are generally not going to push back too hard if they hold an overpair, and if they have a set they will often let you get to showdown more cheaply than you would by pushing the action. If you're playing very LAG, there's not a whole lot you can do to keep from losing your stack, you make it back all the times that they set farm against you when you don't have aces. TAGs on the other hand are constantly trading money back and forth with set to overpair, overpair to set. The winning TAG gives his stack away the least when he has the overpair, and takes the other TAGs stack the most when he has the set.