Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Default 5-10 UB Heads up: two hands vs an aggressive

UB 5-10 Heads Up

A bit of context. At this point, I am down ~200 and Villian is combatting my aggressive play with his own and having the best of the cards. I believe he may think me on tilt.

Hero (SB)
Villain (BB)

Hero: [2c5c]

Hero raises, Villain 3bets, Hero calls

Pot = $30

Flop = T 4 8 r

Villain bets, I call

Pot = $40

Turn = 5

Villain bets, I raise, he ponders, the finally calls.

Pot = $80

River = J

Villain checks, Hero ?????

Comments on all streets please.

2nd hand

At this point I have surged upward and am now up about 125. My opponent is visably tilting.

I get dealt 82s in BB

Villain raises, Hero calls

Flop = 8 2 9 r

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

Turn = 3

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero 3-bets, Villain calls.

Comments on the stop and go. Is a check raise better (hope for 4-bet?)?

Thank you.

magicmcq
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: 5-10 UB Heads up: two hands vs an aggressive

i think the PFR with 52s is terrible. 52s is a 38% underdog vs a random hand, you want to be raising those above 50% (maybe some marginal losers for image purposes or a vast skill edge). raising 52s is a spewfest.

the flop - you're calling with what? give up man.
the turn - you either have the reading skills to beat the pros or you are still spewing.
river - i would check it, but i'd also have folded PF, so what do i know.

Hand 2
82s has 40% equity against a random hand, and you're getting 3-1. Even if he is loose, pretty much every hand is a call. I like this hand because you can expect a tilting player to overplay top pair here, maybe 88, maybe a small pocket that hasn't hit the set. I prefer the stop-and-go to the c/r as a tilting player may get more scared by a flop c/r to the stop-and-go which usually passes under the radar of a tilter.

In summary, hand 2 makes up for the totally atrocious way you played hand 1. I'd like to hear other comments on hand 1 because i am flummoxed as to when that is ever good play.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Hand 1 I fold pf except vs the tighest opponents. Even with position, if he's defending with a large number of hands as he should be 25s is far too weak HU. Given that, I fold the flop. 6 outs would be very, very liberal. You have maybe 3 outs tops.

Hand 2 I probably fold pf as well. I feel as if 82s is just too weak. 84s or 85s is okay though. I like the turn bet. Seems like you are playing a 3 that doesn't want Ax that didn't hit to check it through. 3-bet's good.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM

I fold hand 1 vs an agg villain pf. The blind structure makes this even more of a fold. When an opponent is making the mistake of bluffing too much, then the way to beat him is not to bluff more, but to call more. Pick an ace or a king and call him down once or twice. That will force him to become more straightforward.

Given that you attempted the steal, you have to give up on the flop IMO. Even if he is betting at you with pure air, his air is better than your 5 high. You've got no showdown value, no draw, and no fold equity. Calling there seems pointless to me.

Also, if you were making this call with the intent of raising any river, then your read was off as he called there anyway. Villain's river call makes your flop call even worse.

---

hand 2 I also tend to fold, even vs a tilting opponent. Tilters tend to show down, and this puts more pressure on me to hit a hand. I'd prefer a high card here.

Given that you called, the rest seems fine. Tilters give too much action when behind, so the bet/reraise is good.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM

#1: I think you're on tilt too. Fold preflop. Fold flop. Check river unless he likes to show down A-high after getting raised on a turn bluff.

#2: I like the stop and go.

Edit: misread action on #1 - doesn't change anything though
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM

hand 1 - Fold preflop and check the river.

Hand 2- i check raise the turn. he will say "FOLD BITCH" on the turn and bet, u raise... he'll say "Oh die" and 3bet potentially.

you play 5/10... lurker then? hardly posted in 3 months.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM

I am the agressive villain, Hero took quite a bit of money from me. The second hand play I have no problem with I call 82 pf as well.
First hand though I'm not sure about, he knows that I will call him down even with ace high, so the call on the flop is highly suspect. The only thing I can think of, we play fast, and as sometimes happens I click now think later. Maybe that was the case this time.