Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 03:42 PM

Default 20-40 hand from earlier this week

Your basic 20-40 game. Play is a little passive pre-flop, but post flop play has been standard/aggressive. The table has mostly decent players, but the 3s is definitely the live one.

I am in the 8s and have the BB.

3s open limps. Action is called by four other players, including the SB. I have K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise my BB. Every one calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, everyone calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, 3s calls, CO (a solid player calls), others fold.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, 3s raises, CO folds, I call.

I would appreciate comments on all streets. Results to follow.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: 20-40 hand from earlier this week

I'd 3-bet the river if the 3s was live enough to raise with an 8 or two pair here or wouldn't limp with AK. Was he a loose passive live one or did he overplay stuff badly?

I'd take my chances and probably 3-bet. Everything else is straightforward.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 20-40 hand from earlier this week

His opening requirements were pretty loose but he mostly just overplayed his hands. He would play weakly before the flop and aggressively after the flop, sometimes with nothing.

One example: he was heads up with a solid player on a flop that came 5-6-9, all red. The solid player showed nothing but strength, and the two got into a raising war on the flop until the solid player ran out of chips (maybe 7 or 8 bets). Solid player turns over the 8-7 of hearts for a flopped straight/straight flush draw, while the loose player turned over AQ of clubs. I'm sure the solid player was kicking himself for not rebuying before the hand, as the loose player had plenty of chips.

I agree, it was a pretty straightforward hand. I didn't see any reason to slow play it in anyway, and the only bet I didn't make was the 3 bet on the end. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Results

The 3s had the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so we split. I think the CO had two pair, probably J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and would have over called a single bet but obviously not a double bet.

At the time I bet the river, I was a little concerned that the CO might have also had AKo, but my read was that in the CO he would have definitely raised with AK, although he's a tricky enough player that he might have smooth called. I think from my action before the flop/on the flop that he might have put me on KK or QQ, so I figured that if he did have AKo he would have realized that he was drawing pretty thin and would have mucked.

I guess in retrospect this was a pretty straightforward hand but I still wanted to get comments. Just bad luck that the 3s caught one of the three remaining Q's, but he was definitely good for the game...