Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Default (NC) Improving our psyche

No content here other than talking to my free psychologists here on the board. As I lay back on the couch I say to you shrinks:

I'm in the middle of the most god awful variance draw down, not having made the money in the last 20 tourneys. Lately I've been battling the voice in my head that tells me "you're unlucky." I've realised, and now I feel better, that the reason I seemingly don't ever catch runner runner when I'm behind, is that most of the time I'm ahead in these situations. The times that I'm heads up with my aces vs 94s is so more frequent that it seems I can't catch a break when they hit their 94 on the turn/river. Conversely, I'm not usually that far behind, so the numbers are actually working FOR me.

Ok, that's it. I feel better now.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (NC) Improving our psyche

Sometimes when you get runs like this, halfway thru your run you will subconsciously change your way of play, whether it is letting hands see a card that can take all your chips cheaper, or raising too much with draws, just to name some examples. Your style of play might have changed without you really noticing it. Going 20 without a cash is a pretty long time, but it can happen. I'd be studying my latest tourney and critisizing the hands that I lost chips in to see if I could have done something to stop it.

With runs like that, it's hard to not think negatively about your play, and that will make your play bad sometimes.

Study your play, and good luck getting over the hump. Also, read the anthology post at the top, might be a post or 2 in there that can help out...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: (NC) Improving our psyche

Thanks Dirty....while I haven't analyzed all of the tourneys, I have been concerned my play may have morphed into something unprofitable. I will go back and study pronto.