Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Most direct collusion evidence I\'ve seen...

Ok, its actually pretty indirect, so sue me.

I'm at a home tourney last night, sitting next to one of the regulars at a couple of games I play in. He comments he hasn't played since the tourney I won three weeks ago because he wasn't happy that I knocked him out when we were down to seven players when my A-Js knocked out his A-K that flopped two pair when I rivered a straight.

I thought that was odd as he didn't seem particularly upset at the time, but I bit and asked him what he'd been up to. Turns out he'd gone up to Chapel Hill (college town) and "everyone" up there is playing online together.

I didn't want to interrogate him, so I didn't get full details, but what he said was the guys he knows up there, get together three at a time, often all three in a room, but sometimes by cell phone, and go into a six max room and by betting and raising squeeze the other players out of hands.

Then they go into a room just the three of them and divide up the spoils. This is the part that seems to me should twig some flags in anti-collusion software, but I guess not so far.

Anyway, he said they play at Bo-Dog, mostly 3-6 and 5-10. I don't know for sure they confine themselves to 6 max or those limits or those sites, cause again I didn't interrogate him about it. But he made it sound like there are a number of guys doing it and they do it quite frequently.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, since I've never actually spotted anybody colluding while I played, this is the most direct evidence of it that I've come across.

--Zetack
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Most direct collusion evidence I\'ve seen...

Seems pretty unsophisticated.

Why would they chip dump though? Why not transfer out to netteller and do transfers. Or bring money onto a Pokersite that allows easy transfers and do it that way. I guess just further eviedence that most of the people who do this sort of thing are not very bright.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM

man I have heard so many of these stories from crotchety old men in poker rooms or even more so driving cabs in vegas.

I really don't understand how you can hype up poker table hearsay into "direct evidence". I mean it's no big deal, but every gambler I ever talk to doesn't want to play poker online because of all the rumors that a) it's rigged, and b) people can collude so easily. These type of rumors and posts are incredibly bad for online poker.

With a site as small as bodog, you would think you could just drop them an email and they could easily take a look at their 5/10 and 3/6 6max hand histories and look for tables with a couple of NC residents and they could actually check it out. All they would need is a tip, and if it's happening like the man says it would be incredibly easy to determine, I would think.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These type of rumors and posts are incredibly bad for online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw crud, you mean I've damaged online poker? My bad.

--Zetack
Old 10-19-2005, 02:00 PM

I hope they are all dumb and keep 5-6k in the bodog account, and get busted, and it all gets confiscated
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they could easily take a look at their 5/10 and 3/6 6max hand histories and look for tables with a couple of NC residents and they could actually check it out. All they would need is a tip, and if it's happening like the man says it would be incredibly easy to determine, I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are college kids, they could use their home address to make it less obvious. IP Address might work, unless they are clever enough to each use a different ISP.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:20 PM

it's unbelivable that such a serious site has such problems.

Try Hollywood poker, they are liscensed by Pokerroom and I still haven't heard any complains like that.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by betting and raising squeeze the other players out of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy isn't just full of BS, (95% probability), maybe it's time for me to get an account at Bodog. Three people betting and raising every hand with nothing. I think I might be able to beat that.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's unbelivable that such a serious site has such problems.

Try Hollywood poker, they are liscensed by Pokerroom and I still haven't heard any complains like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

who do you work for again?