Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-14-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Less tables when moving up?

I want to start off with thanking everyone in advance, who is making the effort to read and reply to my post.
Couple of months ago I deposited 50 bucks into my PS acount and started playing 1c/2c NLHE ring and lowest buyin SNG + MTT's. Blew almost everything away, but learned the basics in that process. With 10 dollars left I started playing tight abc poker and worked my way back up to just over 100 bucks. Currently I am also 4 tabling without much of a mental strain.
Now that I have an adequate bankroll, I want to move up to 5c/10c. Not so big a deal I guess.
However I'd like to ask a few questions:
1)When moving up should I remain playing 4 tables, or should I cut down to less?
2)Should I mix 1c/2c and 5c/10c tables up in the beginning?
3)Are there any differences between 1c/2c and 5c/10c worth mentioning?

That's it!
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Less tables when moving up?

[ QUOTE ]

1)When moving up should I remain playing 4 tables, or should I cut down to less?

Do what you think you can handle. Start with 2 and add more as you feel comfortable.

If you can keep the tables straight between the two, go ahead. I know I can't multi-table different limits very effectively.

People play a little bit tighter. And I mean a LITTLE bit.

That's it!
Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I am sure you'll get the obligatory 25 buy-ins for whatever limit you're playing, but I really wouldn't worry too much about it at .05/.10 if you have half a clue what you're doing.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do what you think you can handle. Start with 2 and add more as you feel comfortable.

If you can keep the tables straight between the two, go ahead. I know I can't multi-table different limits very effectively.

People play a little bit tighter. And I mean a LITTLE bit.

That's it!
Thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I am sure you'll get the obligatory 25 buy-ins for whatever limit you're playing, but I really wouldn't worry too much about it at .05/.10 if you have half a clue what you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that last statement. The lower the tables generally the higher the variance. Make sure you're not short stacked at the table.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The lower the tables generally the higher the variance. Make sure you're not short stacked at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true. I once blew away 10 buyins within 2k hands, because I succeeded in getting allin pre flop with KK/AA all the time, and lose to straits on the river. So yes, I think variance can be quite high at the nano's. Having a bad run of cards for 10k hands or more and bye bye insufficient bankroll.

To both posters:
Thanks for the advice!
I am going to start with playing 2 tables, just to get confident at the 5c/10c tables. When dropping a lot of buyins I'll drop down a level to replenish my bankroll.
I'll post again when I run into troubles or move up again.