Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Obsessive personality

[ QUOTE ]
Since finding this site a few years ago, there hasn't been a 36 hour period where I haven't checked it at least once. Not kidding. Obsessive? Maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I will say this: I've been visiting this site off and on for about 6 years. When I didn't come here, my game suffered and I became much less "obsessive." But when I do visit this site, it becomes part of a consuming drive to get better. For the first time in my poker life, I've set very specific goals about what limits I want to play and what I want to learn, etc. As a result of having these goals, the majority of my time is spent thinking about or playing the game.

Because of my expereinces, I think that the drive to succeed does not necessarily need to be something that you are born with or not. I think that it can be a choice, too.

Marlow
Old 09-10-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are good poker players successful in general

[/ QUOTE ]

probably more successful on average than the bad pokerplayers. But that doesn't mean they are succesful compared to the general public.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:00 PM

people with an obsessive and competitive personality is imo much more successful than the general public.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people with an obsessive and competitive personality is imo much more successful than the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely depends on your definition of success. Many non-obsessive people would say that obsessive people are very unsuccesful. and I don't just mean this in a wishy washy kind of way. Many obsessive people are not happy at all, sometimes they miss the big picture etc. etc.

But with that being said, I am a very succesful poker player and very obsessive. Not to mention doing well in school, sports blah blah blah...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Whenever I pick up a hobby, I research it extensively and try to find the best discussion forum about it (there's always at least one really good one).
Old 09-11-2005, 07:29 AM

Yup. I will sometimes look at really interesting posts on my little Treo between hands, or during. This website has done more for my game (such as it is) than I could ever imagine when I first found it.

Kirk
Old 09-12-2005, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I become involved with something, I will give it every spare second of my time, either doing, learning and studying, or thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me!

Could the following be related to this obsessive personality?: One day you feel that you cannot live without a certain female in your life and it messes up your thinking for an entire day, the next day you don't even think about her...
Old 09-12-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the next day you don't even think about her...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Yes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 03:47 PM

There has been much written on the subject of emotional contol in poker. It is very difficult to turn your emotions off when playing and then to turn them back on after the game. There are successful poker players whose personal lives are a wreck.